CoinPeople.com

Note Sells for $268,000 at NYC Auction

gpnyc

"Bank Note Sells for $268G at NYC Auction

NEW YORK -- An 1880 bank note from the Kingdom of Hawaii has sold for 268-thousand dollars today in a New York auction of coins, medals and bills. The items are from the estate of a banker whose father settled in Hawaii as a missionary.

The note was the first ten-dollar bill issued by the kingdom. It far exceeded its pre-sale estimate of up to 40-thousand dollars.

Auctioneer Doyle New York says the specimens in yesterday's sale were stored in a vault for decades and fetched a total of almost four (M) million dollars."

IMAGE ATTACHED

This note came from big money (and when it says the first, they mean serial number 1, the first). From what I read about this collection, its a big deal. Dad did real well as a confident of the queen, finance minister, banker, rancher, land owner, etc. He only bought the best and put it away. The family holdings have been in trust and were only allowed to be sold after his grandchildren had passed. He apparently had clear ideas about quality, quality of life, etc and meant for them to be intact through the life of the immediate family he knew. He's gone and the extended family is now selling off the estate as was intended.

Kind of a brief summary from memory of something I read about this collection a few weeks ago. Some of its true and some I forgot. The coins and notes however, were incredibly real.

Archived