CoinPeople.com

Software

Mark Stilson

Just wondering does anyone here use software to track and catalog your coins? And if so do you think its worth the time? Also what software do you use? Even if you use a normal data base software? Right now I'm a mark up the red book person.

Just Excel, it's good enough for the data.

Someday I'll add a cross reference to some pics.

I use my own database written in Filemaker Pro. I store images of the coin, my classification system, physical data and description, cataloging data, purchase information and date, relevant auction data on sales of similar coins, current value, and any notes that I want to have readily available. Reports include a catalog that I can carry with me to shows, valuation sheets for insurance records, and 2x2 inserts. Since I'm not collecting date and mintmark series, it helps me keep a god deal of information available in one place, search on the various elements, and compose custom reports when needed. I could use it to enter want lists as well, although I have not to date (planned in the future).

I have some Excel sheets to track what I need and have for Indian Head Cents and Large Cents. Pretty much everything else is best guess. I used to track purchases and sales and such but gave that up a long time ago.

Archived