CoinPeople.com

My Intro

Howdy, figure I should get around to introducing myself.

I followed StuJoe from r.c.c. here back when it first started, but just now got around to recreating my account. Ok, perhaps some background, first.

My education is in engineering (BSEE/MSEE from the University of Oklahoma) and am a software/hardware/embedded engineer, currently employed as a Project Engineer in a military avionics company.

I am a habitual hobbyist. I have more hobbies than almost everyone I've met. However, given the fact that most of my hobbies are time consuming, and all of them are money consuming, I rotate through the hobbies on a several-year cycle. Apparently coin collecting has come back up through the cycle again.

My hobbies include:

teaching and playing with my two kids (6 & 4), robotics, combat robotics (BattleBots), amateur (ham) radio, electronics, programming, building MUDs (multi-user dungeons), photography (Canon 20D), vegetable gardening, role-playing games, board games, writing role-playing modules (Living Greyhawk), making chainmail, playing music, reading, writing science fiction stories, math puzzles (Sudoku), logic puzzles, selling on eBay, learning, astronomy, collecting $1 star notes... and my oldest hobby, collecting coins.

Right now, my main hobbies are photography, gaming, and coin collecting.

(My wife is not impressed with the hobby list, in case you were wondering.)

I'm working on a Dansco 7070 Type Set, a Peace dollar set, and a Franklin halves set from circulation (roll searches).

My JFK set is complete (except for 2006) and my Ike set is done, too, I think. I work on a Jeff set out of change when I find good ones.

I think that's everything anyone would want to know.

Oh, I have the Jules Reiver US Early Silver Dollars book if anyone needs attribution of one of the nicest coins made.

John

I am a habitual hobbyist.  I have more hobbies than almost everyone I've met.  However, given the fact that most of my hobbies are time consuming, and all of them are money consuming, I rotate through the hobbies on a several-year cycle.  Apparently coin collecting has come back up through the cycle again.

This sounds exactly like me! :ninja: I have been on an almost 2 year coin collecting binge, but for the past few weeks my writing has started to take over and I am spending a lot less time here lately. These guys will kill me if I let it take over though.

Aw, a micro collector! I've heard about your type...lots of smaller collections instead of a few large ones. :ninja: I call myself a micro collectior. :lol: My mom calls me a packrat. WELCOME!

I hate to admit it, but I haven't touched a transceiver in some time.  Gimme a couple of years, and I'm sure I'll get back into it.

one of the few hobbies that costs more than coin collecting. i just passed my element 2 exam two weeks ago and i haven't yet received my call sign :ninja: ... which is just as well since the radios i'd want to use i can't afford now and i don't want to roll my own (as many do) ...

Archived