CoinPeople.com

Mexican Coinage discussion...

Tiffibunny

Have not been there yet either, but that will change in March, so I have been reading a little about the sights and the history ... The central area of Mexico (City) is also where the center of Tenochtitlán was. And very close to the Cathedral and the National Palace, the main Aztec temple was accidentally discovered about 30 years ago.

Don't know if the lake (Texcoco) is actually visible in that area. Due to the excessive use of the ground water in the quickly growing city many buildings have "sunk" several meters in the past couple of years ...

Christian

I love the central area of the city (except for the unauthorized sellers that usually cover the streets :ninja:), in fact its very cool to see the pyramids surrounded by buildings and churches, here's an image (from google earth :lol:) that shows that area. The lake of Texcoco is not there anymore :cry:

mexcity0in.th.jpg

There are lots of coin stores just a few blocks away from the Zocalo, many sell gold & silver coins at bv, others are more specialized, if you want I can send you the addresses of my favourite ones.

Prices depend on the store that you are visiting, many coins can be obtained for very cheap prices, but its impossible to find others at catalog values.

I usually visit those stores that buy & sell gold & silver things, prices are great but you have to be very patient and walk through ;) streets, I've found "caballitos" for $15, the $2 angel coin for $7 and 8 reales for $10 ;)

Talking about favourites, there's a 50 cent. piece of the caballito, issued in 1907 & 1908, really nice and VERY expensive.

Another beauty is the $5 1950 comm of the Southern Railroad

ferr7jx.th.jpg

Finally, a coin that is not released yet

5bellasartes1sy.th.jpg

That building is one of the "sunk" structures

Nice images! We will of course see the Zócalo, with the Cathedral and some other sights nearby. Chapultepec Park is also on our list, including the Museum of Anthropology. Maybe the Castillo too; I read that it currently shows an exhibition about the Mexican mint and coinage. (Don't know yet if that is still shown next year though.) On the other hand, we would also like to visit Teotihuacán, and that excursion will take an entire day by itself. So much to see and so little time :-)

As for buying coins, I will certainly try and get some. While Mexico is not within my main collecting area, I admire some of the pieces. As far as I know, the Mexican Mint has a store or sales center in downtown Mexico (Paseo de la Reforma), and if you can recommend any dealers, I would be interested in the addresses too. My only problem is that when sightseeing I won't have as much time for numismatic quests as I do here. And, I will be with people who consider coins to be something that you get and spend, nothing else ...

Christian

Finally, a coin that is not released yet

Should soon been issued though ("se comercializará a partir de diciembre"); I just read about that entire 2005 Iberoamerican Series at the FNMT-RCM web site (Spanish mint). And that sure is a row of nice pieces. :ninja:

img_ficha_prod_58.jpg

Here is a large image (about 1.8 MB) of all the coins:

http://www.fnmt.es/es/imagenes/img_resol/M...roamericana.jpg

And according to this article http://www.cronica.com.mx/nota.php?idc=203902 the Mexican coin is the best design of the ten ("la moneda mexicana ... fue seleccionada por los miembros de la VII Convención Iberoamericana de Monedas Conmemorativas como el mejor entre los diez diseños"). The 5th and 6th paragraphs, by the way, describe what can be seen on the coins of the series.

Christian

I like Mexican coins, especially the old silver ones. I have one 50-peso gold, but lots of silver. I just bougt a couple 1979 Libertads off eBay, I'll post pics when they arrive. I have a ton of coins I brought back from spring break in Cancun in 1992, of course these are old pesos, so they range in denomination from $50 to $1000. They are still pretty cool coins though, and pretty cheap when the peso was 3200 to $1!

Finally, I have a question for you experts, can anyone tell me the silver content of a 1902 1-peso coin? I am bidding on one on eBay and want to know if I am bidding wisely! Thanks!

Archived