CoinPeople.com

Cents

Dads Stuff

Dad had 4 rolls (shotgun) of cents. All the ends show the reverse. I have opened 2 of the rolls. They are all 1977D. The Red Book shows nothing special for that year. The obverse on all of the coins looks like someone took carbon paper and wiped each coin. Some of the reverses have it also. Is this environmental gunk? I'm thinking these should be recycled at the bank. Agree?

The best

IMG_1922.JPGIMG_1924.JPG

and the worst.

IMG_1937.JPGIMG_1939.JPG

Thanks,

Linda

Why not offer them to the folks here first. Perhaps someone wants to search for varieties or can just use some nice unc 77-d's.

I have no problem offering them here and would be delighted to do so. However, if the coins have some kind of coin cootie (the black smudges & stuff), I would like to find out before I move them on to someone else. So any comments on the black stuff?

Thanks,

Linda

I have no problem offering them here and would be delighted to do so.  However, if the coins have some kind of coin cootie (the black smudges & stuff), I would like to find out before I move them on to someone else.  So any comments on the black stuff?

Thanks,

Linda

Can't help ya with the black stuff, but I will take the coins and the cooties! :ninja:

Have you tried to rub it off one of the cents? It could be dust. I've seen a few rolls of Kennedys that had black dust on them. Turned out to be smoke from a fire. BUT it was on both sides of the coins and very faint almost like a black cloud.

Sorry - not much help.

Hi Dad Stuff

I have seen this type of thing before, The best I can tell you is that the coins went thru a bad wash at the mint, perhaps even one that had been used for nickels , and then cent, contaminated at any rate.

when this is coupled with perhaps a variation in temp and humidity, and possibly some sulper content in the paper rolls, almost anything can happen, from colors to just an ugly black.

If someone wants the cents to search for anomolous coins then that is great at face value it wouldnt be a bad deal. Even though I have no knowledge of anything of interest on this particular date and mint.Breens shows nothing .

Hope this helps !!

Rick

Archived