CoinPeople.com

New Mexican commemoratives

cowhodan

I lived in New Mexico and never saw any coins like these. Glenna Goodacre has a studio in Santa Fe. Is there a mint in Santa Fe, too?

City buses in Albuquerque were $1, and they accepted both Susies and Sackies, but the Sacagawea was considered the hometown coin.

The Albuquerque Coin Club is actively working on the New Mexico State Quarter. (see here:

http://www.albuquerquecoinclub.org/ABQ-Coin-NMQuart.html)

I suppose you could call that a New Mexican Commemorative when it comes out.

I lived in New Mexico and never saw any coins like these.  Glenna Goodacre has a studio in Santa Fe.  Is there a mint in Santa Fe, too?

City buses in Albuquerque were $1, and they accepted both Susies and Sackies, but the Sacagawea was considered the hometown coin.

The Albuquerque Coin Club is actively working on the New Mexico State Quarter.  (see here:

http://www.albuquerquecoinclub.org/ABQ-Coin-NMQuart.html)

I suppose you could call that a New Mexican Commemorative when it comes out.

I think he is talking about the new "old Mexico" coins, not the USA New Mexico :ninja:

Sometimes when I was living in Santa Fe, I had trouble explaining to people such as phone order clerks, that New Mexico is part of the US.

In the world where I am supreme leader on the host country is allowed to issue World Cup commemoratives.

Germany, next year's host, has already issued three €10 silver coins and one €100 gold coin for the World Cup 2006. In two months another silver piece (the last one) will follow. Way too many IMO :ninja: but it seems they are fundraisers. And I guess that applies to quite a few other sports coins too, no matter whether issued by the host country or by some participating country.

These Mexican pieces are interesting since they seem to combine modern football with old depiction of players. Neat. Now what is that disk thing on the right?

Christian

Ann M. Zakelj wrote "Alexander" with me. (See the article in this forum.) Anka is pretty good with languages. She was born in Slovenia, and that opens the door to the entire family of Slavic languages. She likes to travel and goes to Europe often. So, a few years ago, she was in Bulgaria. She was spending dollars and getting Bulgarian money in change. One of the vendors gave her crisp uncirculated DEMONETIZED notes. So, a couple of stalls later, she goes to make a purchase, offers the notes and goes around and around with the merchant over his demand that she pay "... in NEW notes." and she keeps saying. "These are NEW notes"

Ambiguities can be so interesting.

(I knew what was meant by New Mexican Commoratives when the first of these was posted, but I kept getting caught by it, wanting to click it. So, I thought I would have some fun :ninja: )

Germany, next year's host, has already issued three €10 silver coins and one €100 gold coin for the World Cup 2006. In two months another silver piece (the last one) will follow. Way too many IMO :ninja: but it seems they are fundraisers. And I guess that applies to quite a few other sports coins too, no matter whether issued by the host country or by some participating country.

Christian

It was intereting to see them redoing the Gelsenkirchen Bahnhof again. Do the municipalities get any money from the coin sales or does it all go to the Feds?

These Mexican pieces are interesting since they seem to combine modern football with old depiction of players. Neat. Now what is that disk thing on the right?

Christian

I think it is the hoop for Tlachtli. The ancient ballgame the Aztects used to play where the losers were sacrificed. Perhaps it is there to show the longest lineage of ball sports in any country.

I think it is the hoop for Tlachtli.  The ancient ballgame the Aztects used to play where the losers were sacrificed.  Perhaps it is there to show the longest lineage of ball sports in any country.

That's right, although this are supposed to be mayan players

Do the municipalities get any money from the coin sales or does it all go to the Feds?

As far as I know, the profits from the coin sales has been and will be used primarily for the promotional tour http://www.germany-tourism.de/fifa_wm_2006...al_program.html and the art and culture program that "accompanies" the World Cup. The curator of that program is André Heller, and (from the above page) "the Federal Government will provide a total of 30 million euros in funding". Now guess where that money primarily comes from ... :ninja:

Christian

That's right, although this are supposed to be mayan players

Thank you guys for the explanations! (And while I do not collect such football coins, these sure are attratively designed.) Good to know that these days nobody is sacrificed any more.

Well, not literally. Now the coach of a losing team ... :ninja:

Christian

Archived