CoinPeople.com

1953 Lincoln double 3

Fropa

My dad gave me a jar full of wheat cents about 25-30 years ago. I took out what I needed to fill holes in my album and put the rest back in the jar and they have been their ever since. I finally decided to go through them and find out exactly what I had. Nothing too interesting, but this one caught my eye. It looks like the 3 in 1953 may have some kind of doubling. I'm very pessimistic about finding something interesting so I wanted to see what people here thought. Is it an optical illusion or is it a type of doubling? If it is, what type?

Cent1.jpg

Date.jpg

Cent2.jpg

Thanks for the help

My dad gave me a jar full of wheat cents about 25-30 years ago. I took out what I needed to fill holes in my album and put the rest back in the jar and they have been their ever since. I finally decided to go through them and find out exactly what I had. Nothing too interesting, but this one caught my eye. It looks like the 3 in 1953 may have some kind of doubling. I'm very pessimistic about finding something interesting so I wanted to see what people here thought. Is it an optical illusion or is it a type of doubling? If it is, what type?

Thanks for the help

Sure, I can see the doubling - but it is not from the much desired 'hub doubling' variety. That looks like some machine doubling (goes by a couple names).

Here is another example. Because of the date on this one, it is sometimes called a 'poor man's' doubled die.

poorman20zi.jpg

Abraided die doubling... ahem... Caused by extremely worn dies (usually a working die) and appears as a raised shadow of metal on the outer edge of the design. On the obverse will generally affect the last digit in the date, also the motto and first few letters of Liberty.

I'd consider it a great find. I think you need to remove the verdigris (green stuff) as quickly as possible. It spreads and will destroy the coin eventually. It can also spread to coins that come into contact with this coin.

Here's a post from CoinTalk that will give you some info that might help.

Verdigris removal info

Thanks for the help. I didn't think it was some major find but it never hurts to ask the experts. Thanks for the link Art. Many of the cents have Verdigris since they have been the the jar together for a long time. I'll take care of the crud and put it in a holder. First out of the ordinary coin I've found, plus it came from my dad.

Archived