CoinPeople.com

Another what is wrong question (lol)

gxseries

905727.jpg

A ruble that I got while I was in Russia. While you notice the right side of the image seems to suggest it's a blasting white ruble, the obverse seems to be "acidified".

When I showed that to my dad, he originally thought it to be a tin alloy which can't be possible as I did a weight test against the other rubles that I had. He then suggested it as a dipped coin, but then, why would one side be horribly ruined? :ninja:

1rcorrodedfrontxl6xm.jpg

(Yes, the images are definately from a single coin)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a "home made" rouble for me. The diameter is it exactly the same like a good one? If it is a die cast coin, it must be shorter in diameter with half of millimeter or so.

I compared this with another worker ruble:

Mass: 20.0g Diameter: 33.67mm Thickness: 2.65mm

This ruble

Mass: 20.0g Diameter: 33.79mm Thickness: 2.60mm

Wouldn't be suprised if this was made in China though.

It has the look of a Kitaiskii piece. I will look when I am there in a couple of months and see if I can find some fakes that are convincing.

It has the look of a Kitaiskii piece.  I will look when I am there in a couple of months and see if I can find some fakes that are convincing.

Even if the metal used for die cast fakes is in the same purity (so the weight it is respected), the diameter or thickness differ slightly because the melted metal it compress after getting cold.

I brought out two other coins to compare and here are more bizarre data. Perhaps, it would be better if I could have more to compare with but this is all that I got.

1921 1 ruble

Diameter: 33.83

Thickness: 2.54

Mass: 19.9

1924 1 ruble

Diameter: 33.84

Thickness: 2.48

Mass: 20

I guess what could had happen is that I was falling asleep when I was doing the measurement... ;) Or the worst would be that all of them are counterfeits :ninja:

Really looks like rusty die, like Trantor3 said. I can't figure out any other explanation.

Though I have never seen a chinese fake of this type - as far as I can trust my limited fake detecting skills :ninja:

It might be interesting to compare their production to those roubles that were minted in London.

Interesting indeed, they made no roubles in London, only poltinniks ;)

Archived