CoinPeople.com

Whitman folders ............

coinmonster

aren't the best from I just found out. I was checking out some of #2's wheats and popped them out of the folder and the back of the coins have black marks on them. What have I done wrong??? I know I need to get them out, so is there a better folder or should I just start putting our entire collection in 2x2's???

Thanks!!!

p.s.

I just reread my post and that "entire collection" part made me laugh really hard, thanks I needed that! :ninja:

You're into preferences here. Based upon what you are collecting - for example all MS64 Red or above cents - then I'd consider something like Intercept Shield holders. They have 2x2 holders that have an insert that absorbs the environmental contaminents and help to leave the coin red and spot free.

Regular 2x2s may or may not help. It will depend on how well they're sealed and how they're stored.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions to come.

For just an inexpensive wheat collection Whitman is fine. Now if you start getting in MS quality for all of them, you may want to invest in a Dansco. I'm getting a Dansco for my Morgan and WLH collection. I'll use the Whitmans for the G-F coins, EF and above belong in Dansco's.

What happens to the nickels, dimes and quarters when they are in a whitman folder? I just didn't like the black marks on the back of the coins. Granted these aren't high quality wheats but I still don't like the black marks.

Doesn't that ruin the value? Maybe these might actually be worth something 40 years from now, I hope so anyway.

I generally concur with Burks, especially if you have proofs in your set. I have my cents, nickels, dimes and halves in Danscos, but I keep my quarters in whitman folders since I generally have more circulated coins in that set and no proofs.

What happens to the nickels, dimes and quarters when they are in a whitman folder? I just didn't like the black marks on the back of the coins. Granted these aren't high quality wheats but I still don't like the black marks.

Doesn't that ruin the value? Maybe these might actually be worth something 40 years from now, I hope so anyway.

Sulfur in the paper, it sounds like? Exposure to sulfur can leave marks if the coin is in for a while

Archived