CoinPeople.com

Italy retained CUD, Multiple strike!

The images are large, so they will take some time to load. But what I have here is that Italian piece I mentioned about a month or so back (I finally found the sucker hiding in my US stuff, guess I was meaning to photograph it, lol). To describe this coin is rather simple, it was struck with a shattered die. Hey come to think of it, it does look like a Mercedes Symbol....LOL but not only was it struck by this shattered die, but it was struck 3 times! If you look closely you can count the # of strikes from the "stair stepping" along the die breaks. And I consider this a retained CUD too, since, not knowing which of the 3 pieces were still connected to the actual remains of the die, this is difficult to tell which is which. LOL Also, on the reverse, the die is split in half there too. The original owner called this a doubled die, and well, I can see it in some areas, but not others, which just makes me think the multiple strike instead. Well, enjoy, I know I enjoy this coin!

Dscn1361.jpg

Dscn1366.jpg

Thanks everyone. I recently got a Manchurian Doubled Die that once it comes in and I get a couple of good shots of it, I think will WOW you guys some more. As for this Italian piece though, It saddens me on the grade that it is. It has been cleaned by someone other than I (previous owner more than lilkely). But Dutchman, I think that the planchet is fine, it's just the die wasn't able to exert enough pressure to a large portion of the reverse due to the split obverse die. Now I don't know this for sure mind you, but I do know this, I am still looking for a higher grade example of this coin with the large die cracks (reatined CUD). If I could only make out the date, I would have a narrower field to search. But I will not rest until I do find another of this variety in a better grade! As well as the 1990-S DDO#1 Jeff Nickel! I WILL find a matching coin to go with the one I have now! LOL

Keep your eyes open all the time people! I just recently went through 2 5# bags of foreign coins. Several die cracks, about 10 doubled dies in all, and a couple repunched dates! The doubled dies and RPDs are going to be worked into my personal collection, but the die cracks will be going to ebay after Christmas (FYI). LOL I know a shameless plug, but atleast I didn't be specific and blatant about it. Hahaha. Anyway, what I am getting at, never forget the cheap box on a dealers table, you never know what you might find! (BTW, I have found a 1942/1-D Merc Dime in a dealers junk box......Keep 'em peeled!)

I remember that day I did that to the letter! It was about 5 years ago, and I found it in the junk silver box on a dealers counter top. Bought it for $.60 (yes that is sixty cents). And took it home, photographed it, and then took it to the other dealer in town, and sold it to him for $100 (One Hundred Dollars). I think it would have graded Fine, but the scratch on the obverse distracted it to a VG. Was a red letter day! I got the photos of a variety that I always wanted to get, and got $99.40 for my troubles so to speak. :ninja: Needless to say that extra $ I made went right back into more coins at the local show the following fall. LOL Maybe some day I'll tell ya'll about my 1909-S V.D.B. in the cash register......til next time.

Archived