CoinPeople.com

Guess The Grade...

Hard to tell without seeing the reverse but if I had to guess from the obv only, I'd say a 66.

Also, this is either an extremely well struck business strike (I think so) or it may be a proof - hard to tell from the scan and the lighting is too subdued.

Tow things jump out at me, the great die crack running through the date (won't affect the grade) and the star directly across from the bun looks very weak (maybe just a scanner artifact).

If that star is indeed weak then it might get to MS 64. If the star is fine then you might have hold of a 65 and if a better scan can be had, maybe a 66. The scan makes the coin look like it has zero luster and I would want to see that also. Very nice piece.

Is it the CENTS or NO CENTS variety?

Tow things jump out at me, the great die crack running through the date (won't affect the grade) and the star directly across from the bun looks very weak (maybe just a scanner artifact).

I saw that star thing as well and attributed it to the uneven lighting. I think the star is all there but we just can't see it. Believe it or not, die cracks like you see on the date are fairly common on these coins. You can blame that on the hard nickel alloy.

Without a chance to evaluate lustre, I'm in for MS64. If the star is not filled and there's good lustre maybe MS65. Overall a very nice coin. (Assume rev is same condition as obv.)

What makes it worse...

I also sent a 1962 Franklin which was taken from a MINT SET and should have graded MS65/66 with Full Bell Lines. They bodybagged it as being "cleaned" on the reverse. It had die marks which ran UNDER the devices?

I sent my last coins Early Bird for $30.00 a pop and received them in a little over a MONTH... turnaround was supposed to be 12 days.

Not a happy camper with them right now.

I also sent a 1962 Franklin which was taken from a MINT SET and should have graded MS65/66 with Full Bell Lines. They bodybagged it as being "cleaned" on the reverse. It had die marks which ran UNDER the devices?

Sounds like it needs to have a proper burial in my budding Franklin cemet.......uhhhhhh.......collection! :ninja: The Franklin halves are one of my favorite US coins and the primary one that I am working on to get a date/mintmark set.

Sorry to hear about your bad fortune. ;)

Archived