CoinPeople.com

Help needed

Dads Stuff

I decided to work on Quarters today. Opened a tube and saw this beauty. To the naked eye, it looks georgeous. Took the picture and upon editing I see this....

fingerprint.JPG

I'm just sick!!! I hope that somebody did not think it necessary to touch all of them!!!!

Can this coin be saved or is this fingerprint there for eternity?

Thanks,

Linda

Do NOT wipe it with anything. That will cause further damage to the surfaces in the form of hairline scratches.

The only thing to do is give it a bath in acetone. If the print is old, it's there for good unless you dip it in Jewelustre, which I usually advise against.

Proof?

Sure looks like it.

And I second AF's comment. I had a Russian proof commem that I bought years ago. It had one solid fingerprint on it. Years afterward tried an acetone bath- did not help.

It is a shame Linda, but I would advise to keep the print and curse the loss rather than lots of ugly wipe lines. Those show up real easy, especially on proofs.

Sure looks like it.

And I second AF's comment. I had a Russian proof commem that I bought years ago. It had one solid fingerprint on it. Years afterward tried an acetone bath- did not help.

It is a shame Linda, but I would advise to keep the print and curse the loss rather than lots of ugly wipe lines. Those show up real easy, especially on proofs.

I have seen several items from Goznak that have assorted varieties of fingerprints. I guess they figure they are selling to some capitalist pig so why bother with quality control.

Unless the fingerprint is freshly done,  acetone won't dissolve it.  A 10 second dip in Tarnex might erase the print if that's a silver quarter.

I know the print is over 3 years old. No one has touched these coins for at least that long. The coin is somewhere between 1966 and 1986.

I know the print is over 3 years old.  No one has touched these coins for at least that long. The coin is somewhere between 1966 and 1986.

Could it perhaps be your father's print? If so I think that would be not only cool, but a definite keeper IMO!

Archived