CoinPeople.com

"Treasure Ship" Recovered Coins

2coins

Hi all, I was just woundering about this topic?, I would really like to get one of those Attocha silver peices of eight!, (With Mel Fisher COA), most of the good ones have sold over the years, but some are still around, I know squat on this area of spanish coin, I guess a good one is around $500.00 on up! I would try and get of course the best centered one and stike. Whats your thoughts on these types of "Recovered" ship wreck coins???.(And other wrecks). :ninja:

I don't really know much about the silver coins, though I suspect salt water has not been kind. The gold coins from more recent wrecks have been a boon to double eagle collectors, though they are controvercial in some respects. I know the only way to get a high-grade 1857-S is from the SSCA, or an 1864-S is from the Brother Jonathan, and since those recoveries the prices are much more reasonable (though still many thousands for an MS-63 to MS-65). Still, some are more apprehensive about these coins because they have been recovered and conserved. Still, if I had the chance I would buy one.

Hi all, I was just woundering about this topic?, I would really like to get one of those Attocha silver peices of eight!, (With Mel Fisher COA), most of the good ones have sold over the years, but some are still around, I know squat on this area of spanish coin, I guess a good one is around $500.00 on up! I would try and get of course the best centered one and stike. Whats your thoughts on these types of "Recovered" ship wreck coins???.(And other wrecks). :ninja:

I wouldn't pay that for any shipwreck coin. Spanish silver and gold is available without having to by from any of the shipwreck hoards. A customer of mine showed me a 2 reale in a bezel he bought from the Atocha company and it was actually a reproduction cast from some of the silver bullion recovered from the dive site. He had paid $300 for it.

I would have given $50 for the coin if it hadn't been a cast copy. My opinion is that it's a lot of hype. Not as bad as being offered George Washington's hatchet which has had 10 handles and three new heads added over the years, but still no bargain.

Yes I saw those cast Reprodution coins from the silver bars, Not for me!! I want the real coin, I think I would buy one with all the COA rom Mel Fisher, Yes expensive, but what a storie!!!!The other ship wrecks Ill pass, But the Attocha!yes I want one.. :ninja:

Yes I saw those cast Reprodution coins from the silver bars, Not for me!! I want the real coin, I think I would buy one with all the COA rom Mel Fisher, Yes expensive, but what a storie!!!!The other ship wrecks Ill pass, But the Attocha!yes I want one.. :ninja:

You can find much nicer examples that didn't come from the wreck for half the cost. But if you really want one of the Atocha coins - don't buy it from Mel's shop. You can even get them cheaper on the open market.

Archived