CoinPeople.com

Guess the grade on this one!

jtryka

Ok everyone, try to guess the grade on this coin. Please state your grade and your reasons. I personally find this series to be one of the toughest to grade, so I thought I'd share the challenge with all of you. I will post the grade that PCGS assigned later in the week.

1909-D Obverse

1909-D Reverse

Its clearly uncirculated as the frost is all there. But the coin is unfortunately very baggy. I'll go with MS-60. Maybe 61 on a good day.

Well, I have had so little experience even seeing these that I probably should refrain...but I am going to give it a shot, as a learning experience if nothing else.

I'm looking at the ANA guide as I type. I can't see *any* wear on the indicated high points (the top of the wing on the reverse and a few points on the face [corner of the mouth, feather stuff below where the ear is, little bit of hair showing from the are tucked under the headband]. So, I have to say MS. I suppose there could be some broken luster areas or rub around the cheekbone, so it could come in as AU, but it looks MS. Sure would help to see it live and close up.

So now, the MS descriptions....don't see many distracting bruises or bag marks (63), but shy of only minor marks (65) because I can see more than a couple easily. So, I say MS64.

Guest Stujoe

Oh Lord. Gold. Incuse Indian design.

I have no idea. Certainly looks MS to me. Looks like quite a few marks but gold is soft but then again it is a small coin. Let's say MS62? but it could be anywhere from 60-63 as far as my expertise goes!

I like the coin though! :ninja:

Between these incuse Indians and Buffalo nickels, I don't know which one is harder to grade, but they are all hard! PCGS graded this one MS-60, which is probably right, though in modern grading an MS-60 could really be anywhere from an AU-58 to MS-62!

Archived