CoinPeople.com

bank of england secret...

San_Miguel98

i'm not sure if they were meant to be so low-key or not, but not very many people know that the bank of england issued a limited run of millenium banknotes. (i just found out accidentally two weeks ago).

whereas other countries had special designs, stamps, or foil imprints, the bank of england changed nothing but the serial prefix. the current serial numbering system includes a four-digit prefix followed by the number, and in the millenium issue the prefix they chose was "YR20". the following two 0's made up the rest of the "2000".

mm1-vi.jpg

serial # YR2000 1358 of 1500 issues

mm2-vi.jpg

serial # YR2000 0833 of 1500 issues

heheh...i had no idea the u.s. had millenium notes either. i guess these aren't really secrets, i'm just not well-informed!  :ninja:

I did not either. ;) I happened to be visiting the BEP in the summer of 2000 in Washington DC. I bought the note at the gift shop, as well as an uncut sheet of 8 $1 notes.

This is a new one on me too. As neither of them are legal tender any more it's too late to look out for them anyhow.

Although this post has now confused me on one other issue that you note guys might be able to throw some light upon. The £5 note has a crown in the top right hand corner not '£5'.

If i remember correctly the Stephenson £5 notes came in two varieties, one was a crown in the top right and the other was a £5 in the top right. Looking at the Dickensian £10 and the Faraday £20 notes they both had the value of the note in the top right hand corner and these were all dated 1993. The £5 notes were always? dated 1990 (although my memory wonders if any came 1991 dated, i forget now).

I always figured the £5 notes originally had the crown design in the top right and the next issue had the £5 in the top right to match the other denominations. I'm guessing it must have been the other way around now?

On a side note (pun intended) i saw someone being turned away from the counter the other day because he had an old Stephenson £5 note, so they're still around. Gotta make sure i check all my fives because i wouldn't want to get stuck with one and get thrown off of the bus/train because i couldn't pay my fare.

This is a new one on me too. As neither of them are legal tender any more it's too late to look out for them anyhow.

Although this post has now confused me on one other issue that you note guys might be able to throw some light upon. The £5 note has a crown in the top right hand corner not '£5'.

If i remember correctly the Stephenson £5 notes came in two varieties, one was a crown in the top right and the other was a £5 in the top right. Looking at the Dickensian £10 and the Faraday £20 notes they both had the value of the note in the top right hand corner and these were all dated 1993. The £5 notes were always? dated 1990 (although my memory wonders if any came 1991 dated, i forget now).

I always figured the £5 notes originally had the crown design in the top right and the next issue had the £5 in the top right to match the other denominations. I'm guessing it must have been the other way around now?

On a side note (pun intended) i saw someone being turned away from the counter the other day because he had an old Stephenson £5 note, so they're still around. Gotta make sure i check all my fives because i wouldn't want to get stuck with one and get thrown off of the bus/train because i couldn't pay my fare.

my understanding is that the £5 kept the crown until 2002. from introduction until 1993, all three notes had the crown on the right until a design modification. the £10 and £20 replaced the crown with a value, and the £5 merely darkened its value on the left.

pre-93: old-vi.jpg post-93:new-vi.jpg

You're most likely right San Miguel but i could have swore that in the early 00's there were ones out there with £5 in the top right.

Might be worth looking out for it just in case.

Edited to add; I've just emailed the Bank of England and asked them. They should know for certain one way or the other.

• 3 months later...

Just found another interesting British note, issued in 2000, in conjunction with the Queen Mother's 100th birthday. These notes all carry the prefix QM100, and as far as I can tell, are only found in PNCs with the £5 Queen Mother Centennial coin. The serial numbers of the PNCs also match the serial number of the note.

Archived