CoinPeople.com

Coin show report

Dan769

First show in a few months, I was anxious to get inside and part with my greenbacks. Got there at 10:30, place was pretty full. Did a once around all the tables looking for standout coins but none jumped at me.

Well there was one coin I saw and I almost messed myself when I saw it, an

1870-CC Seated Dollar in a PCGS AU53 holder :ninja:

Geez if I only had $5K to blow on a coin instead of the $85 I brought ;)

Anyway that was the one standout and was gone when I went back to drool an hour later.

I hit the international coin dealer hard for a bunch if Philippine coins, I cant seem to stay away from the war year dimes and twenty cent pieces when they sell for $1-1.50 in BU. Picked up 6 more of them along with 2 -50 cent pieces BU for $3 each and 1944-45 nickels BU for a buck and a nice red BU Centavo for $1.50.

Snared a few more Portuguese type set coins, highlite is a nice 1918 centavo in AU with some red(50%) for $1.50. I really had to dig for these coins because this one dealer in particular has dozens of boxes to go thu.

Back to the US side, I tried hard to find something for my type set, looked at many large cents, but they are so damn ugly I may skip them!. It is impossible to find one in VG-VF that I find attractive, that is going to take the longest for my type set.

I did tho spot a 1861 seated liberty quarter no motto in the back of a dealers case. It is in perfect circulated condition, grades VF+ with just the right "look" & color for $32. I'll post a pic later.

Lots of older folks selling there coins, mostly stopping in with little tins of rolled silver dimes & quarters, most very well worn from what I could see.

I was a little suspicious of one dealer whom I've never seen at the show before, a little ol lady stopped at his table with rolls of Indian head cents, by the looks of her list, it "may" have been a complete set. I saw her list go back into the 1870's, and when I tried to move in to get a better look and listen, under the guise of looking at his wares, I was given the "evil eye" and told he was busy. I did hear him say he would pay $2 a coin, but not being able to see the coins up close not sure if it was a fair deal. Of course as Art can attest, if any of those Indians were dated before 1880 she may be getting shafted, but not my place to butt in, just an observation.

All in all a pretty fair show, tho many of the type coins I was looking at were cleaned and or scratched. And on dimes and half dimes, it's hard to pick up with the naked eye, I'm getting old ;)

There are a few coin shows in Toledo but they haven't posted dates yet. I'm dying to go. Haven't been to one in oh.......10 years now?

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. The shops I've visited have a TON of cleaned coins. Out of the Morgans there was two coins in AU or better condition that was cleaned. Pretty sad if you ask me. Can't beat the price on those coins you picked up for $1.

Oh and one more thing. There was a fellow selling civil war tokens for under $15. He had at least a half dozen in a stack. He was busy every time I went to see them, and after 2 trips to his table I forgot about them until I was driving home :ninja:

I've always wanted one of those. Hope he has them next show.

Back to the US side, I tried hard to find something for my type set, looked at many large cents, but they are so damn ugly I may skip them!. It is impossible to find one in VG-VF that I find attractive, that is going to take the longest for my type set.

I know what you mean - certain "average circulated" coins that look good, have even wear, no corrosion or surface problems or serious scratches, nicks and dings are *very* tough to find. Eye appeal is definitely not just for MS grades heheh.

Terrific report - thanks. Sounds like you had a good time.

I'm always tempted to make the journey to the Melbourne show. I know a few of the dealers and several local folks go regularly. I have a buddy who's really into British Empire stuff and finds a lot of good material there.

It's unfortunate - the IHC/old lady thing- that a lot of dealers are more into get what you can for the lowest price rather than fair treatment. Of course on the other side of the coin - some sellers are just hard to deal with. Had a person bring in a large collection of silver dollars to our last show. He expected me to point him to dealers who would give him written estimates for the coins including a detailed grading description. He knew what he wanted. He got quite annoyed when I refused to recommend any specific dealer, but pointed him to four who specialize in Silver Dollars. Of course, they refused to meet his request and tried to explain that a show is not the place to do such a thing.

He left mad. I was told that he sold the dollars for $4.00 each to a vest pocket dealer who's a member of our club.

Art, knowing about where you live, I'm not sure if it's worth a 2 hour ride each way. I know you have a nice sized show coming to Orlando in less than a month. I may make that show.

Of course I'll be at FUN, I have a buddy coming down from Connecticut and were planning to spend all day Friday filling my type set.

Archived