CoinPeople.com

why are some coins counterstamped?

rsraghead

I could imagine it was a cheaper alternative for newly created countries to simply counterstamp currency already in circulation in their population. One set of coins that come to mind are the counterstamped Portuguese reis coins repurposed into Brazilian currency.

For an interesting read about counterstamped coins and in particular coins counterstamped by a Dr. Wilkins,

read Q. David Bowers book titled "The Strange Career of Dr. Wilkins" first published in 1987

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I have heard, counter stamps are a dream come true for coin collectors. For years they have been found in dealers’ junk boxes and now it’s making a comeback by collectors who have the drive to gather these as relics of a bygone era, as well as understand the secrets associated within the often mysterious words and phrases stamped into their surfaces.

• 5 weeks later...

I have done a little more research on the terminology-

COUNTERSTAMP is an official punch mark to signify legal tender status of a foreign coin or change in value of a domestic coin [eg, Spanish dollars counterstamped with image of George III]