CoinPeople.com

Louis XVI

Ian

A nicely toned silver half ecu dated 1792 (l'an 4 de la liberte) minted at Paris mint during the constitutional monarchy period. Edge inscription reads: La Nation, La Loi, et le Roi. The half ecu is much scarcer than its crown sized big brother and increasingly difficult to find these days (especially within my meagre budget!!).

996027.jpg

I read someplace (don't you love the scholarly approach I take?) that it was generally believed that a large nose equated to other large equipment. I was never certain of that but it might explain why the Neapolitans didn't have their faces prettied up.

Very nice! Always loved the angels writing on tablets. It's one of the few designs for which I like the modern version more than the original ancient version. (late 4th century Roman coinage wasn't exactly the best)

I read someplace (don't you love the scholarly approach I take?) that it was generally believed that a large nose equated to other large equipment. I was never certain of that but it might explain why the Neapolitans didn't have their faces prettied up.

:hysterical: I've a vague recollection of having read the same thing..... somewhere.

Very nice! Always loved the angels writing on tablets. It's one of the few designs for which I like the modern version more than the original ancient version. (late 4th century Roman coinage wasn't exactly the best)

I agree. The design comes over better however on the gold `angels' (20francs) probably because they are fairly readily found in unc condition :).

`winged victory' (aka `Nike') also made appearances on early greek coinage. I have in mind the Syracusan Decadrachm issued following the Syracusan victory over the Athenians during the Peloponnesian war. This example circa 413 bc (image courtesy of the British Museum) and signed `KI' by the artist (Kimon).

k130576_l.jpg

Archived