CoinPeople.com

Coins and bullion found at sea.

YeOldeCollector

"A shipwreck containing 200 tonnes of silver worth about £150m has been found in the Atlantic - the largest haul of precious metal ever discovered at sea."

Check this out. :swoon:

The finders get 80% of the take. And with more efficient and advanced retrieval & robot technologies, I bet that's a substantial profit over what they would have landed 30 years ago. (don't even start with the melt value appreciation)

• 7 months later...

Bump - with another story.

"The Ministry of Defence is facing a legal battle and parliamentary questions after letting a US company excavate a British 18th-century warship laden with a potentially lucrative cargo."

http://www.guardian....ssey-excavation

You would think since this was known by the government something would have been said before. I mean it was publicly announced in feb. 2009. I'm sure the government had some notice before that.

This is so typical--Just like when someone wins the lottory all of the "cousins" and shirt tail "relatives" begin appearing out of the wood work

to claim part of the money. Odyssey Marine does all the research and spends all the money to find these wrecks then after discovery the countries of

origin (aka Spain for one) and these other splinter groups start screaming bloody murder that they should benefit wholly. I say if they (The country or origin

or the splinter groups) want the booty then they should get off their butts and find it for themselves. What a bunch of undeserving slackers.

This is so typical--Just like when someone wins the lottory all of the "cousins" and shirt tail "relatives" begin appearing out of the wood work

to claim part of the money. Odyssey Marine does all the research and spends all the money to find these wrecks then after discovery the countries of

origin (aka Spain for one) and these other splinter groups start screaming bloody murder that they should benefit wholly. I say if they (The country or origin

or the splinter groups) want the booty then they should get off their butts and find it for themselves. What a bunch of undeserving slackers.

I think you've got completely the wrong end of the stick.

The argument isn't about claiming part of the money as some of the artefacts that Odyssey have recovered have been sold to a British museum - so that's hardly to do with the money, it's about the heritage. The ship in question is HMS Victory, one of Britain's most famous warships and I would imagine that the British want to keep such a large part of their maritime heritage for the nation, hardly undeserving slackers as they wouldn't be gaining monetary reward over the artefacts recovered and seeing as they are the ones paying Odyssey...

The uproar in the article is that the MoD have sold rights contrary to the international laws - there's no suggestion of ulterior motives as it is to be given to the Mairitime Heritage Foundation which I doubt will be able to sell anything.

Odyssey seem perfectly happy to undergo such work in return for a percentage, as agreed, and so no one is slating Odyssey at all - just the MoD for not doing things by the book. So I fail to see your point. I do see what you mean about some other cases, though, where international court cases have been brought against Odyssey but this certainly isn't one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived