CoinPeople.com

Registry Sets

Art

I have a few Registry Sets going on NGC and PCGS. I'm not in it for the competition but just for the fun of it. It's a handy way to track parts of my collection and keep an updated list of coins that I still need for a particular set. I was wondering who else has these types of sets. So

+ What sets to you have?

+ Are you a serious competitor or just having fun?

+ Comments?

NCG

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

PCGS

Art's PCGS Registry Sets

I do not have any sets though the idea is appealing. I bought a Poor barber dime a few years ago with the idea of doing one of those "worst-graded" sets because they seem like fun. It's a great way to get all the dates and to see how the wear patterns work.

• 2 weeks later...

What's been the most challenging part of this for you, art? Both from a series POV and a management POV.

The only challenge is finding decent coins at prices I'm willing to pay. The sets that I have contain no real rarities but still there are coins that are quite difficult to find in either the PCGS or NGC slabs. The circulation strikes for Jeffersons and Roosevelts are not offered fro sale nearly as often as the proofs. I've even considered just taking a bunch of my own coins and submitting them. BUT that is an expensive proposition.

Management of my collection is a real problem for me. A while ago I had to take a major part of my collection to the bank and put it in safe deposit. I'm not the kind of person who visits them. So it's been a big big discouragement for me. I enjoy having my coins near and looking at them and such. Not to mention that anything I purchase just gets stuck in boxes and then eventually gets added to the safe deposit but I don't have the time to resort everything and keep things in order.

It really makes me unhappy.

• 5 months later...

I'm still working on my Registry Sets and enjoying them very much. I just completed the Roosevelt Dimes Proofs Set on both NGC and PCGS My set ranks 62nd on NGC and 17th on PCGS. I find this very interesting as both sets contain exactly the same coins and both are PCGS certified only sets.

sig.jpg

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/MySetRegistry/MyCollection.aspx?c=61278

I have the Carson City Morgan Dollar set going at both PCGS & NGC. I'm doing it for fun, and my set is complete in my mind as I have one coin from the 13 years they minted Morgan CC's. Not into all the varieties of a set, NGC seems to list a lot more than PGCS does.

I have the Carson City Morgan Dollar set going at both PCGS & NGC. I'm doing it for fun, and my set is complete in my mind as I have one coin from the 13 years they minted Morgan CC's. Not into all the varieties of a set, NGC seems to list a lot more than PGCS does.

I'll bet that it's a nice set. The NGC sets do seem to contain a lot more varieties than the PCGS sets do. The Roosevelt Proofs are almost identical on the two services but the Jefferson Nickel sets have quite a few differences.

NGC recently removed all PCGS certified coins from their competitive World Registry sets and many people deleted their sets as a protest.

My sets are still there but my French Rooster set, which I worked hard on and was #1 for two years, has dropped to #3. :(

C'est las vie!

NGC recently removed all PCGS certified coins from their competitive World Registry sets and many people deleted their sets as a protest.

My sets are still there but my French Rooster set, which I worked hard on and was #1 for two years, has dropped to #3. :(

C'est las vie!

I'm not looking to start a debate or any such thing here but I just simply do not understand NGC's actions regarding this. To me it has only negative effects. (By the way I have no NGC or PCGS WORLD certified coins, so no personal axe to grind here.)

I'm not looking to start a debate or any such thing here but I just simply do not understand NGC's actions regarding this. To me it has only negative effects. (By the way I have no NGC or PCGS certified coins, so no personal axe to grind here.)

Oh, I thought you said you had a "PCGS certified only" set. What did you mean by that?

I meant no NGC or PCGS WORLD coins. Sorry. I must have mistyped and left the word out.

I'm still working on my Registry Sets and enjoying them very much. I just completed the Roosevelt Dimes Proofs Set on both NGC and PCGS My set ranks 62nd on NGC and 17th on PCGS. I find this very interesting as both sets contain exactly the same coins and both are PCGS certified only sets.

I was talking about this last line that threw me off. Thanks for the correction!

I was talking about this last line that threw me off. Thanks for the correction!

Sorry. Wrong question answered. What I mean by PCGS Certified only set is that PCGS only allows sets with PCGS certified coins while NGC allows either NGC or PCGS or NCS coins. I have the same Roosevelt Proof PGCS coins set on both the NGC and PCGS registries. Did that help to clear it up?

• 4 weeks later...

To me these sets but too much emphasis on the "grading" of a third party rather than the joy of collecting or on any educational value of the coins. I know to each his own but I can't help feel a bit cynical about these...

• 3 weeks later...

I have 11 PCGS sets and I am in it for the Fun.

I like the Rattlers and putting them in the sets lets me show them off without taking them to shows and club meetings.

Here is the link:

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=32594

In my Photo Album I have other TPG coins and samples that have no place there. But It does let me display them.

Thanks, Bob

Very nice Bob. You're the first person that I've heard of who has such a nice collection of "rattlers".

Art redone

Thanks,

I have been at it for 6 or 7 years now.

Also I like the ANACS Photo Certs and the 1st gen Holders. Yes I guess I am unique in the rattlers, others do collect them but It seems only if they need the coin, I just want the rattler.

I think if people don't collect them then all of them will be broke out and resubmitted to the new holder. But if you look at the coins in the rattlers there is almost always a common coin in them.

I have seen one 1893-S morgan and 1856 FE Cent, and I really did want to get them both. I saw them years apart. I need to hit the lotto for that kind of cash. But I guess those are the exception to the rule, everything else has been common coins.

Also I have done an article on the ANACS photo certs, it is 32 pages of the 10 different certs that ANACS has issued over the 18 years that the ANA and ANACS were together.

I can only email it out to anyone, so if you might like a copy PM me with a email address that I can send it to.

Thanks, Bob

Archived