CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth Petrovna 5 Kopek Silver ??

allen.moore

Learned something new when I stumbled upon this specimen on a website. Had never heard of an 18th century 5 kopek in silver...guess I was too used to the big, fat Catherine II 5 kopeks in copper. Couldn't believe my eyes, so I pulled out my trusty Uzdenikov and sure enough, there it was - on page 94. Any comments - other than this is not a pretty example?

Here's a prettier one (IMHO):

RUSSIA_Baroque_5k_1757_SPB_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_Baroque_5k_1757_SPB_rev.thumb.jpg

The "Baroque" kopecks are also nice:

RUSSIA_1756_Baroque_Kopeck_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_1756_Baroque_Kopeck_rev.thumb.jpg

Actually, the relative sizes are just about backwards, but I had used the 5k. coin as a test for the new view-finder magnifyier attachment and wanted to take as close an image as possible. :lol:

There were also 18th C silver 5k's under Paul I.

In two different weights, to boot. Paul decided to make the silver coinage heavier in 1797, trying to return to the standard first used by Peter I when he reformed the coinage. That would have returned the ruble to being a crown sized coin. Unfortunately he insisted on exchanging the coins at par so the heavier money never could circulate.

They gave up on this idea and resumed the old standard in 1798. So the 1797 5 kopeks is one type, and the 1798-1801 a different type. I was fortunate enough to own one of each.

and, please do not forget the absolutely wonderful silver 5 kop 1762 patterns of Peter III, as well as, silver pattern 1763 5 kop of Katherine. There are copper pattern strikes of silver 1740 5 kop pieces (there may be silver one hiding somewhere...) Finally, the silver 1787 TM 5 kop pieces, that are rare, but a bit more obtainable in comparison to the 1740, 1762 and 1763... :grin:

Please! Do show them!!! They are a rare prize!

*smacks forehead again* Whoops. I am afraid I was remembering some grivnas (2) and altyns (3) I have, it turns out I do not have the 5 Kopeks/10 Dengas. Doggone it.

I apologize; I should have looked to be sure, before posting.

(If you want to see the grivnas and altyns I can do that--but I believe they are off topic for this thread.)

*smacks forehead again* Whoops. I am afraid I was remembering some grivnas (2) and altyns (3) I have, it turns out I do not have the 5 Kopeks/10 Dengas. Doggone it.

I apologize; I should have looked to be sure, before posting.

(If you want to see the grivnas and altyns I can do that--but I believe they are off topic for this thread.)

please feel free to show them.

If you want, start a new thread, perhaps titled "itty bitty silver of the 18th C.

If you do, Ill post up my silver Kopek (the round kind, not wire)

:yes:

Bob, I vaguely remember seeing that Baroque kopek coin - was that from Basok?

No, it was from a WWCC auction (James F. Elmen, World-Wide Coins of California).

please feel free to show them.

If you want, start a new thread, perhaps titled "itty bitty silver of the 18th C.

If you do, Ill post up my silver Kopek (the round kind, not wire)

:yes:

I see someone has already started this thread, and I've posted most of my itty bitty silver there (including my two baroque 5 kopek pieces... you know, the kind that got this discussion started? :P )

I've also posted some of them in the museum sub-forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived