CoinPeople.com

Cataloging Methods

nicholasz219

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering how everyone manages their collections. I need to inventory my collection and that includes labeling with some sort of serial number, linking purchase price and images of coin (which is becoming a pain in and of itself) as well hopefully some sort of grouping together of coins from the same series.

I have struggled with doing this in the past and have always seemed to come up with the most bulky inefficient methods of cataloging possible. I could really use some advice on what works for everyone else. I really need to put records together not only for insurance purposes but also to have a manageable list that I can carry with me to a show (CICF and ANA Chicago!) in the next few months. I work on a MacBook Pro and have Word and Excel programs available for use.

Help!!!!

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering how everyone manages their collections. I need to inventory my collection and that includes labeling with some sort of serial number, linking purchase price and images of coin (which is becoming a pain in and of itself) as well hopefully some sort of grouping together of coins from the same series.

I have struggled with doing this in the past and have always seemed to come up with the most bulky inefficient methods of cataloging possible. I could really use some advice on what works for everyone else. I really need to put records together not only for insurance purposes but also to have a manageable list that I can carry with me to a show (CICF and ANA Chicago!) in the next few months. I work on a MacBook Pro and have Word and Excel programs available for use.

Help!!!!

If you don't mind making things public, you can use Omnicoin.

I guess so. I created an account but had not really done anything with it yet as I am still working on the camera and uploading pictures to the computer. I was thinking along the lines of something appropriate to be printed and carried around with me with my reference books so I can fill holes in my collection and upgrade pieces at a show, et cetera.

I decide to abandon it totally - realized it's tricky and it's easier if I keep a good idea of the market price and buy it around that price, I would remember it as either having a good bargain, overpaid but justified it as being difficult and so forth.

At the same time, when I do need to look up for a price that I paid for a while ago, I can just search my emails as all my invoices are kept there. Would be nice if I kept a database of all my coins that I paid for but it wouldn't be nice if someone got a copy of what I paid for. On the other hand, I don't mind sharing my collection online with everyone and look at them from time to time.

I'm still thrashing about for a solution I will remember to use. I'm working on spreadsheeting in OpenOffice, but the one I still use most often are my handwritten notes in a folder.

I am not an organized person. :)

I guess so. I created an account but had not really done anything with it yet as I am still working on the camera and uploading pictures to the computer. I was thinking along the lines of something appropriate to be printed and carried around with me with my reference books so I can fill holes in my collection and upgrade pieces at a show, et cetera.

Probably too simplistic, but using Word I produced a handy little book of my collections, either in A4 0r A5 (a useful pocket book) but then my collections don't change much. Photos along with all the detail you want and a simple numbering system keeps me smiling!!! :grin:

I was just hoping that someone had developed a system that would be easy to adopt. I am still thinking this through, but if I come up with anything that seems halfway decent I will pass it on.

Why not consider a commercially available computer program designed for collectors? I have been using Collection Studio, it has its drawbacks but you can customize it to suit your needs and it is certainly better than not be using any system at all.

...I have been using Collection Studio, it has its drawbacks but you can customize it to suit your needs...

Trying it out...so far it seems friendly enough and has lots of customization. For example you can delete all the countries and denominations you don't care about, and add ones you need.

Manual import is a very slow process (many fields/tabs to deal with) but I'd hope the import feature can speed this up.

Also, I'd need to see how it holds up with thousands of coins, especially with their associated images. I suspect not well unless it's keeping images somewhere other than internally. The trial is good for 30 days, and it's only $35 thereafter. Worth a look.

Nick, the best system to me is to weed out all material which costs less then $10 per coin. Then you feel enlightened and ready to fly.

For my 150 coins I created the simple system below (hit the link). But it takes a web site.

With my very basic knowledge of html :(

and Notepad++ and Filezilla (both freeware) it's easy to add or remove pictures. Sigi

I wouldn't mind using some sort of program like Collection Studio, but I have to look into the cost. If there is recurring charges for usage, then I wouldn't be interested I don't think.

A lot of my coins are worth under ten dollars per coin because of the nature of what I collect. I have been most actively working on Paul I copper, 1730-1754 Polushkas/Dengas and Catherine II 5 Kopecks. But, I also have a date mintmark copper and other minor coinage set that I add to mostly by purchasing lots of minors. These are the coins that I would like to have catalogued in addition to the pricier pieces. More so for completeness and ease of reference than for insurance purposes. But, if I am to take the time to document the collection, I might as well document all of it for ease of access and insurance purposes.

I wouldn't mind using some sort of program like Collection Studio, but I have to look into the cost. If there is recurring charges for usage, then I wouldn't be interested I don't think.

From what I can tell, it's $35 one time and you supposedly get free upgrades to all new versions. I'm still trying it out. For up to a few hundred coins it's probably a reasonable solution. For thousands, I think it would be too time consuming. Looks like you can also try an unrestricted version for 30 days.

Archived