CoinPeople.com

Spam & Spammers

Art

I suggest that all new accounts require moderate approval for all posts until something like 25 posts have been reached and the first 30 days have passed. This spam is getting to be way too much.

I'll third it.

I'd volunteer to handle punishments of any spammers actually caught, but everything I think of runs afoul of the 'cruel and unusual' clause of the Bill of Rights...

It's been so long since I created my account, I don't remember -- is there a Captcha challenge/response or anything like that when someone signs up for an account, or could an account be created by a 'bot?

The forum I mod for has a first post forum, but you have to post there first no matter what. Then it gets approved by a mod. And in the user settings either ban, or set limits on new members. Like adding the Community Forums. It does frustrate new members though. And not all spammers turn up as spammers or bots if they are a fresh email address.

The spammer or bot what puts in the extra periods seems to be hitting a lot. The hello and goodbye one had me waiting a bit but they just returned later to actually spam.

And there has been a lot of spammers or bots lately. Normally 4 to 5 each time I log in either registering or looking at profile. Banned about 7 just while sitting here with a couple tabs opened up.

@chongsoft

@seorj

@csoftmail

and some other email addresses have been banned. Can't remember the others. Right now aol, gmail, o2.pl, and mail.ru are big spammer sign up email addresses.

and some other email addresses have been banned. Can't remember the others. Right now aol, gmail, o2.pl, and mail.ru are big spammer sign up email addresses.

The crazy part of the www.mail.ru being a centre of spam senders, I use my mail.ru account mainly because I DON'T get spam on my Russian email account - unlike my USA based ones.

The crazy part of the www.mail.ru being a centre of spam senders, I use my mail.ru account mainly because I DON'T get spam on my Russian email account - unlike my USA based ones.

Yep, we don't ban because a mail.ru address. It has been getting close to suggesting a ban on it, but looking at the numbers it would also be gmail and aol. So usually just some googling, stop spam forum, and botscout show them up.

@cmoki.pl has been turning up a lot also.

Funny, googling one of the spammers I just banned his web site link turns up a malicious site. I.E. it can mess up your computer. At least according to Norton Safe web. One big reason never to click on a spammers link.

Had another "compromised" site according to google and norton safe web. The spammers seem to be getting more dangerous.

I have probably nuked 100+ spammers or bots the last few days. I really like some of the user names "cituactordammadymn" with a email address of 5z9vofj@ or name like "Qruasmkksrnxz"

It seems to be a new phase of spamming; a private wiki for another site I frequent has lately been having spammers sign up new accounts and promptly start spamming. The admins had to add CAPTCHA to new account creation to stop bots from signing up. In the immortal words of the sadly mortal Leslie Nielsen, "Good luck... we're all counting on you."

• 3 weeks later...

The site I mod gets about 200 spammer/bot sign ups per day. The majority say 95% + don't make it to the first post requirement. You have to make your first post in that forum. Then get approved by a mod. If they do post something other then spam there. Such as a Hello type statement. Most of the time we say something generic. Here it could be something like "how long have you been collecting?". Then wait on a response. Could you set up a newbie section they can only see?

Lately I have been hitting them pretty hard. Every time I log in I check user manager and go ahead and do a back ground check. (Google and Stop Spam Forum) If they don't pass there its immediate. We have been getting several one time use email addresses lately though so that is tough. One other question can you disable signature and website in newbies accounts? Figure a lot of them are just to get a hit there.

Here is a list I made recently of spammer emails. Cuts down some the gmail, aol, and mail.ru can't do much about.

@zumail.net

@veriosa.com

@futuraseoservices.com

@chongblog.cn

@chongblog.com

@guide3.net

@o2.pl

@yandex.com

@loopar.osa.pl

@tlen.pl

@onlinestodays.info

@wormsoft.cn

@nerds4u.com.au

@go2.pl

@chongsoft.org

@aaronboydarts.com

@tlen.pl

@wormseo.cn

@chongseo.com

@zyseo.com

@prokonto.pl

@szef.cn

Just a thought a majority of the sign ups we have been getting have been link dumpers. I.E. signing up and just putting in a url for home page. Can you set permissions in this software so unless confirmed they can't put in a home page in the contact info? It might help cut the numbers you have to go through by a fair amount.

I don't think they can. It may help some though and help the mods. But we (The forum I mod.) get bunches of single or two use email addresses for spammers. They are really tough to spot. Having said that the amount of forum spammers to my forum has gone up dramatically recently. In the past 2 to 3 weeks we have had close to two thousand, primarily link dumpers. And we are back water compared to this site. The posting spammers seem to have a tough time with reading and using the first time posting rules. At least it keeps it down to one single forum.

Just while I was typing this up. Three spammers aka link dumpers registered on my site. The sex tapes one really ticks me off. 91.212.226.188 prime example of a single address user.

One of the link dumpers on the site I mod left as their home page a nasty link. Looked it up on Norton safe web. 21 different places with "HTTP Malicious Toolkit IFrame Injection" Plus 4 "phishing attacks". Just a heads up. Make sure you have a good up to date antivirus and security program.

Archived