CoinPeople.com

5 kopeeks EM 1803

alexbq2

Good to know. I thought it ironic that the seller, for once, shows the edge, and it is so obviously proves his coin to be a fake.

I bought one of these unkowingly on ebay germany a few years back. Seller was a dealer, who did take it back. I had a thread about it here at the time. same type, but dated 1802

I bought one of these unkowingly on ebay germany a few years back. Seller was a dealer, who did take it back. I had a thread about it here at the time. same type, but dated 1802

About 3 years ago I posted here similar edges of 3 Catherine II piataks, and of one 1793EM Paul's reoverstrike. They all had that typical ridge on the edge. They had come from Estonia via eBay US. The Estonian seller then took them back for a refund.

For a while I had sellers show me the edge before bidding. Then by and by I forgot asking for the edge.

THESE DAYS I HAD TO PAY MY NEGLIGENCE DEARLY :(

Sigi

-

These are known cast fakes. The've been coming from the Baltic states for , at least, 5-7 years.

I believe that cast fakes of 5 kopeken from this period are most popular and have long history ... longer than 7 years

Strange that also among dealers are people without knowledge about that fact... :sorry:

I believe that cast fakes of 5 kopeken from this period are most popular and have long history ... longer than 7 years

Strange that also among dealers are people without knowledge about that fact... :sorry:

Of course, we are aware that the history of fakes is as long as the history of money.

In this case, we are reviewing this particular style and produiction.

That is so blatant that it is almost funny. Sadly, if you think about it, the seller might even be able to get a sale and then claim with almost 100% honesty that he did give all relevant information. His claim the coin was "100% original" is problematic, but when you actually show the edge with an obvious casting seam in it, it's almost like he is daring someone to buy it.

Is it possible that this guy thinks that the coin is real because he knows no better and is now unwittingly selling it without knowledge that he bought garbage to begin with?

Archived