CoinPeople.com

Encased Indian cent "Good Luck Souvenir"

I picked this up last week or so from an eBay seller located in Germany:

USA_Good_Luck_Token_1901_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Good_Luck_Token_1901_rev.thumb.jpg

The hammer price was only slightly more than $10. But I have seen these going for between $20 and $50 on eBay. Some other varieties are apparently scarce and seem to command prices of a few hundred dollars! :shock:

Given that there is a rim ding or two, and the discoloration of the outer encasing (is it made of aluminum, white metal, or what?), do you think I got a good deal on this one? I am very happy with it, especially because the Indian cent is in such good shape. But I have no idea what it might go for if it were auctioned on U.S. eBay where more people might have seen it (and bid on it).

Thanks for looking! :art:

Good deal. Mine (different variety) was $22. Some of the Buy It Now prices on Ebay are too high. Very rare pieces do go for good sums.

Nice coin and casing!

Thanks, ccg!

Actually, the casing seems to have been cleaned (???) because it is so discolored. But the coin itself is OK -- don't know how someone could clean a casing and manage not to clean the coin in the process. Maybe it is just some special kind of corrosion? But it looks a bit scrubbed to me... :unsure:

Looks like Al to me!

I agree.

What is the weight of it? This might be able to shed some light on it if you minus the average weight of an IHC.

What is the weight of it? This might be able to shed some light on it if you minus the average weight of an IHC.

OK -- total weight is 6.79 grams, diameter about 38.5 mm. The catalog weight of an Indian cent (bronze, 1864 and later) is 3.11 grams, diameter 19 mm. Composition of the coin is 0.950 copper and 0.050 tin and zinc. Thickness of the token is about 1.8 mm -- don't know about the cent, but it looks a bit thinner (probably doesn't matter, though, since we know the size of the hole in the casing and the overall weights).

I'll let you (or someone else) do the maths, if you like ... :banana:

The encasement is aluminum.

Here's mine:

985648.jpg

Nice! :bthumbsup:

Interesting that there must have been a variety of encasement designs to choose from -- I wonder if they were made in advance, or on demand at the Expo (as with elongated coins)?

I think they were made in advance as souvenirs. There were multiple vendors (different types and designs of encasements) and multiple die varieties for some encasements. Some are rare.

I think they were made in advance as souvenirs. There were multiple vendors (different types and designs of encasements) and multiple die varieties for some encasements. Some are rare.

This is beginning to get very interesting :bhyper: ... are these documented in any token reference works? The Rulau book stops at around the turn of the century (Gay Nineties), but I didn't see any encased coins in it.

A neat souvenir that reminds me of what was really significant - the place where President McKinley was shot - and we think we live in violent times now.

A couple of months before he was shot, he travelled to California and my great great grandmother took a photograph of him in San Francisco when he was giving a speech there - I have the photograph still.

A neat souvenir that reminds me of what was really significant - the place where President McKinley was shot - and we think we live in violent times now.

A couple of months before he was shot, he travelled to California and my great great grandmother took a photograph of him in San Francisco when he was giving a speech there - I have the photograph still.

Yes - interestingly enough, also in 1901, on Sept. 6, and at the Pan-American Exposition (I wonder if he was carrying one of these in his pocket?!?!) I had no idea ... I must admit that I looked this up on the internet just now. Thanks for bringing it up! :art:

This is beginning to get very interesting :bhyper: ... are these documented in any token reference works? The Rulau book stops at around the turn of the century (Gay Nineties), but I didn't see any encased coins in it.

TAMS Journal 1999, 39(2): • Encased Cents of the 1901 Pan American Exposition, by James M. Lawniczak, pp. 32-37, 52

Archived