CoinPeople.com

Search Results from $50 Worth of Cents

Saor Alba

Wheats

1909 AG-3, and a woody 1 101 Years old and still circulating until I retired him.

1911 Nice fine 1

1934 1

1940 1

1942 1

1944 3

1945 4

1945-D 1

1946 2

1946-D 1

1948 3

1950-D 1

1951-D 4

1952-D 1

1954-D 2

1955-D 1

1956-D 5

1957-D 5

1958 1

Total Wheats: 39

San Francisco Minted:

1968 2

1969 3

1970 3

1971 4

1972 2

1973 2

1974 3

Total SF Minted: 19

Canada

GVI

1940 1

1945 1

1946 1

1952 1

Total: 4

QEII YH

1955 1

1956 1

1957 3

1962 2

1963 3

1964 3

Total: 13

The 1909 is the fourth of that date that I have gotten in searches since 2007. It is pretty worn out, with some beating, but the date is clear and there is NO VDB or an S but I am pretty ecstatic about finding a 101 year old coin in a search. The first box I searched had 32 Wheats in it, a record for a box for me. The second had only 7 Wheats, but the 1909 and the 1911. The number of San Francisco coins was higher than normal too. This search session was a real winner, I have had some where I only gotten 4 common date 1950's dated cents and that was it. The amount of pre-1982 bronze seems to be slipping downwards though - a sure sign they are starting to disappear.

We have a coin machine at the bank i work at, the kind people dump in change and exchange for cash. Anyway it has a very strong magnet to pick out non USA coin, which I find a minimum of at least 3 non USA coins a day. It also attracts the steel cents, which we have a small collection growing in the vault. Also finding steelies in rolls turned in. Most if not all are kinda beat, but it shows they are still out there.

There are many reasons you will always find old coins in change.

1. Home robberies where the crooks take coins and just dump them in coin counting machines or banks

2. Kids get into a parents coin collection and spend them

3. Old people with jars of coins laying around for years and then take them to a bank.

4. Some people with to many duplicates of low value coins just dump them into change for fun.

5. Coin store robberies and again the coins are just dumped into change.

An example is a neighbor of mine is being sent by relatives to an old age home. They are cleaning out his house and found a box of old Lincoln Cents. Those were all just spent as coins. Told me about it after.

• 2 months later...

I am going to take a break from cent box searching - I have lots of bronze - like 800lbs worth, and I am getting sort of burned out on searching cent rolls. I kind of want to take a sort of break from coin/banknote collecting awhile and focus on my model railroad for awhile.

I am going to take a break from cent box searching - I have lots of bronze - like 800lbs worth, and I am getting sort of burned out on searching cent rolls. I kind of want to take a sort of break from coin/banknote collecting awhile and focus on my model railroad for awhile.

Sounds like fun. Keep us updated on your progress.

How do you "order a box"

In my case, I ask the vault teller at one the banks that I use. She then adds it to their order for the Fed. Unless they have extras on hand and then she just gets one out of the vault.

Some of my banks order them for me, one of my banks has a lot of merchant accounts and sends coins to the Fed instead of ordering them - they call me when they fill up the $50 Fed bags. I admit, tellers get free magazine subscriptions, gift cards for restaurants etc. Which is why I end up with some pretty good stuff. No, I am not above making their jobs lucrative.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived