CoinPeople.com

Before vs. After

thedeadpoint

Before vs. After  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer to have in your collection?

• Before dipping
    • After dipping
  2. 2. Have you ever dipped a coin?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you ever dip a coin?

• Yes
    • No

A poll inspired by the great bobh:

As you can tell from some of my other coins, I certainly do love toning if it is attractive. However, how many of you would honestly prefer to have the "BEFORE" rather than the "AFTER" in your collection?

BEFORE:

USA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_before_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_before_rev.thumb.jpg

AFTER:

USA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_rev.thumb.jpg

Dipping can be beneficial in certain cases. I believe this was one of them. Maybe we could take a poll? (Except I'm not sure how to set it up... :ninja: )

Interesting. I voted that I'd prefer the after dipping coin, and that I've never dipped a coin (junk silver doesn't count!).

I kinda like the toning on the one side, but on the side with the eagle (reverse?) the dark black blobs are unappealing to me. Overall I think the dip had a positive effect though.

I prefer the before. I find original toning to be very attractive in most cases, this being one. Why, I don't know.

Have I ever dipped a coin? Well yes. We all have to experiment. It was dipped and electrolysis used (hehe). Turned a completely junk coin into a clean(er) completely junk coin. It still resides in my Dansco.

Don't like most toned coins. Since the majority of my collection of older coins are well circulated specimens, I'm sure many have been cleaned at some point in time. I don't care about that.

Interesting. I voted that I'd prefer the after dipping coin, and that I've never dipped a coin (junk silver doesn't count!).

I kinda like the toning on the one side, but on the side with the eagle (reverse?) the dark black blobs are unappealing to me. Overall I think the dip had a positive effect though.

Thanks!

Of course, dipping doesn't work miracles. If a coin isn't at least AU or BU to begin with, I think it is better not to dip. Interestingly enough, most of the circulated coins I have seen were either completely brown (copper) or otherwise evenly toned without any splotchiness ... only BU silver coins that were improperly stored seem to exhibit this. I would NEVER dip anything but a silver coin.

Copper that is not properly stored will usually start to turn green after awhile. Under ideal circumstances (i.e. small areas of verdigris, no pitting underneath the corrosion areas) you can use olive oil to achieve similar results.

Edit: Please also note that it is not easy to dip correctly. One important thing is to dip just a couple of minutes at a time, then rinse, then dip again, etc. Don't just leave a coin in the dip and walk away from it! Once you are done, rinse for a few minutes and then let it sit in some water which has some baking soda dissolved in it so as to neutralize any traces of acid. Then rinse again for several minutes. And pat the coin dry, don't rub it! Let it dry in the atmosphere afterwards.

I'll choose 'after', but only by a hair. The dipped coin looks flat and lifeless. But the same piece pre dipping had a pretty splotchy toning that wasn't exactly attractive.

I'm with bobh in that only an item in AU/UNC with full (or most) lustre should be dipped (and even then not in all scenarios).

Actually a rather very limited type of poll. For accuracy all the different types of dippings would have to be listed. For example a dip of a coin in Acetone has massively different results than a dip in Sulfuric Acid. A dip in distilled water has massively different results than Jewlery Cleaners. Even dipping a coin in such solutions such as a Coke, Lemon Juice, Molases, Vinegar, Lighter fluids and on and on and on produce really extensive different results. Many coins have been dipped in Oils of different types to make them appear newer.

A poll so limited means to little.

Well, I had intended to take some better pictures before Easter, but it isn't going to happen until maybe 2 or 3 weeks from now.

I'll choose 'after', but only by a hair. The dipped coin looks flat and lifeless. But the same piece pre dipping had a pretty splotchy toning that wasn't exactly attractive.

I'm with bobh in that only an item in AU/UNC with full (or most) lustre should be dipped (and even then not in all scenarios).

ccg, you are spot on -- however, it is mostly the picture that looks flat and lifeless and not the coin. I hope to be able to show this later. That coin has a LOT more luster now than it had before!

Actually a rather very limited type of poll. For accuracy all the different types of dippings would have to be listed. For example a dip of a coin in Acetone has massively different results than a dip in Sulfuric Acid. A dip in distilled water has massively different results than Jewlery Cleaners. Even dipping a coin in such solutions such as a Coke, Lemon Juice, Molases, Vinegar, Lighter fluids and on and on and on produce really extensive different results. Many coins have been dipped in Oils of different types to make them appear newer.

A poll so limited means to little.

just carl, as a chemist and an avid and experienced collector, you would be in an excellent position to write a book, or at least an article, about this subject. From reading some of your other posts, I gather (but may be mistaken) that you have also dipped the occasional coin or three. Being a chemist -- scientists are curious by nature anyway -- it would surprise me if you hadn't!

Ever thought about it? I'm sure publications like the ANA's "Numismatist" would snap it up...

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some better "after" pictures:

USA_50c_Texas_1935_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Texas_1935_rev.thumb.jpg

I used the axial light setup suggested by altyn in this message on the Russian coin forum. :ninja:

Definitely an improvement over my photos taken with indirect sunlight, don't you think?

I prefer the original toning. It shows that the coin has not been messed with.

How do you know? A lot of times, coins are artificially toned to hide traces of cleaning, or the chemicals used in the cleaning will create unusual toning patterns.

Here's a seated Liberty dime which I know for a fact has been rejected by a major TPG for cleaning (the seller told me before I bought it):

Dime_SL_1873_obv.thumb.jpgDime_SL_1873_rev.thumb.jpg

I don't normally buy cleaned coins, but the detail is nice and I actually like the toning, and the price was right. But I don't think you should assume that just because a coin has toning, that it has never been "messed with".

I like both. A toned coin has character, while a blast white coin looks like it was just minted.

I also own a Texas commemorative (a 1934) and frankly I feel it is one of the highlights of the series.

Archived