CoinPeople.com

1793/1796 overstriked 5kopek on 10kopek

One of my coins from my prized overstriked coin collection, this coin has to go because

a) It is honestly a very nice piece, which I will detail it as following

:lol: It will make a great coin for your collection even if you don't have an overstriked coin

c) I got some unexpected bills to pay for :ninja:

d) I do happen to have a spare one (or I would be horribly upset parting with this coin)

Ok, back to the coin,

if you followed up my conversation on overstriked coins which I mentioned quite some time ago, the link is right down here:

http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=354

The example shown there is not the coin that I have here for sale, but I could easily make the presentation if you would like so that you can show it to anyone else on the internet.

Here are the pictures of the coin:

Orientation of the 1793 5 kopeks design:

10k11kg.jpg

10k26ws.jpg

Orientation of the underlaying 1796 10 kopeks design:

10k35xl.jpg

10k48bg.jpg

In this image here: 10k35xl.jpg

you most definately can see the 10 kopek word and also another underlying design of the previous 5 kopek coin!!! As in, this coin originally was a 5 kopek coin, which was then overstriked by a 1796 10 kopek coin and overstriked AGAIN by a 1793 5 kopek coin!!!

Not easy to find, you can try your luck finding another one. On average, I see them around every half a year but they are usually very coarse, and not too finely graded.

If you were to ask me about the grading, honestly this is quite a difficult one. I admit that there is a bit of green verdgies, which probably could be removed by acetone, but I will not as I have not experienced with it before. The overgrading at my best knowledge would be a F+ or a weak VF-, due to the overstriking features. The underlying 10 kopek design does appeal a bit, which I would grade it a suprising F-, as quite a fair bit of the underlying details do remain. As for the

last underlying image, it is just as good as "worn"

The technical details of this coin is as follows,

Mass (grams): 48.2

Thickness (mm): 3.17-3.56

Diameter (mm): 44.52-45.13

(variance due to crude striking)

As for the pricing, I am thinking of around 140USD (including all the lame registered shipping and paypal fees). I would be including the .swf file, technical details in both english and Russian (for any reasons there could be), and would be throwing any freebies that I have at the moment. ;) Yes, you would wonder why such insane price but here is the rest of the story:

Russian coins have been soaring insane high these recent years and I cannot just keep up with them due to their insane ridicious prices. Just three years ago, this is one of the catalogues that I had, but the prices are way more than what it is right now:

17639py.jpg

17965hx.jpg

According to the catalogue, the price of such overstriked Paul's recoining is around

80USD or so, but the 10 kopek coin is a shocking 1000USD+. (12 fold!) Why? It just happens to be that not too many of such coins were spared from the massive overstriking program. And currently such coins are almost impossible to get hold of, unless you want them in terms of overstrucked coins.

Hope you enjoyed the story and thanks for taking your time to read. ;)

Please pm me if you are interested or if you want more infomation about this coin. Any reasonable offers are seriously taken into account.

• 1 month later...

Silly me, I forgot the links to the flash video :ninja:

Clip 1: overstriked Coins infomation

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/6429/overstrikev28id.swf

Clip 2: Specifications of this overstriked 5k/10k coin

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/2618/10kopeckspecs2tr.swf

>> Note: You can ZOOM IN, by right click, or you can try various other functions too. ;)

There is a reason why these clips are ridiciously big!!! ;)

• 8 years later...