CoinPeople.com

10 kopeek 1762

bobh

Any remarks about this one? 10 Kopecks 1762 (Peter III)

Other than the obvious clipped planchet, I don't see any red flags. Wonder why it went unsold? If it's genuine, then $260 would be a very modest estimate, considering that it would otherwise grade a nice VF (IMHO)... :ninja:

Other than the obvious clipped planchet, I don't see any red flags. Wonder why it went unsold? If it's genuine, then $260 would be a very modest estimate, considering that it would otherwise grade a nice VF (IMHO)... :ninja:

very strange. As the auction was closing, I saw a $500 or higher bid on it...

This is Bitkin 14, the most common variant. But I don't understand why it did not move at the price.

very strange. As the auction was closing, I saw a $500 or higher bid on it...

This lot is also missing from the PR list on Stack's website ... I thought it might have been a computer glitch. But it looks like it really went unsold! :ninja:

I have noticed several little "blips" with Stacks during the past couple of years. Stuff that sold for less than I had a firm bid in on, stuff that had no reserves that suddenly popped up with a reserve after the auction etc.

It is their show and they can run it like they want to, but I remember that in my elephantine memory before I bid on anything.

to eliminate such discrepancies, the firm is exersizing re-freshing their staffs :ninja:

Hi, We have a similar one in the sale now, but with clear traces of the overstrike. Wonder what you guys think of that one?

http://sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=203&lot=381

Kind regards, Jos

This seems perfectly normal and perhaps from the same dies

as a specimen in the Heritage Long Beach sale (June 2005).

The preceding piece (No. 380) in the sale is, unfortunately, a

modern fake and not a novodel from the St. Petersburg Mint.

It was published as false in the Russian Numismatic Society

Newsletter No. 19 (spring 2007).

RWJ

That's why I put "Restrike" in there. What should be the right description for the 1760? Then I can still add it in the errata-list.

Appreciate the reply. Jos

Actually “restrike” implies a piece struck for collectors by the St

Petersburg Mint in the 19th century. This is a modern 21st century

copy, privately made and worth only a few dollars as a curiosity.

RWJ

I would add that lot 380 was discussed few times all over since this kind of coins were issued and it was an opinion that these were made for small local museums and schools exibition in Russia, however some sellers trying to auction them as novodel, restrike, etc. :ninja:

Hi,

We have a similar one in the sale now, but with clear traces of the overstrike. Wonder what you guys think of that one?

http://sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=203&lot=381

Kind regards,

Jos

Jos, should that piece be left unsold, too .... don't worry, I'd take it at the price. :ninja:

Sigi

Archived