CoinPeople.com

Is this coin cleaned?

numismatic nut

I think this coin has been cleaned, but I have been known to look at things too hard. What do you think?

I don't see any obvious signs of cleaning such as hairline scratches, uneven or splotchy toning, or discoloration. Hard to say just going by pictures, though. But maybe you can look at the coin in person with magnification? What tips you off that it might have been cleaned?

There is certainly a lot of detail, but too much wear to grade it AU -- I would say it's probably a very choice EF. Very nice coin (assuming that it hasn't been cleaned!)

Here's a nice uncirculated or high-end AU example (1878) with similar patina from the online shop at Künker (http://www.kuenker.de):

708867q00.jpg

As you can see, there is darker patina in the protected areas closest to the raised devices. That's the way it should look.

(Edit: the description says it is actually a proof!)

I think "cleaned" might be a bit of an overstatement, but I believe it has been very lightly wiped at some point in the distant past. I would not hold that against the piece, it is still attractive and collectable. That said, I believe there are many coins residing in MS grade TPG holders that have been very lightly wiped also.

Archived