CoinPeople.com

Small Translation

Drusus

Anyone know what this says?

Wa voll het, verdeit voll

Wä völl hêt, verdeït völl

any idears?

I'd try Dutch if I were you. "voll het, verdriet voll", which is slightly different, literally translates as "cut it down, cut down sorrow", I think...

Good luck with it though Chris.

I'd try Dutch if I were you. "voll het, verdriet voll", which is slightly different, literally translates as "cut it down, cut down sorrow", I think...

Don't quite understand it either, but it's definitely not Dutch; they don't use ä/ö/ê/ï. Here in Rhineland "verdeit" (infinitive "verdeien") means making a mistake, and elsewhere in Germany I've seen "verdeït" in the sense of happy or joyful, but I don't remember where. My guess is that this is some variety of Frisian or Low German ...

In some older texts (Nibelungs, MH German) "verdeit" has the meaning of discreet by the way, as in the opposite of a blabbermouth :ninja:

Christian

the only word babel fish would translate is 'voll' which it translates as 'fully'

Well, "völl" is not the same as "voll". People in Mülheim have a local dialect called Mölmsch (Mülheimish). However, it is not spoken much any more, also because the Ruhr area is a big melting pot. Anyway, I think (as in: guess :ninja: ) that the standard German equivalent is "Wer viel hat, vertut viel". And that would mean "who has a lot, wastes a lot".

I live less than half an hour away from Mülheim, but I may still be terribly wrong here ...

Christian

off their website:

There is, of course, also a local dialect, "Mölmsch Platt", which is, admittedly, only spoken fluently by a few "aulen Mölmschen" ("old Mülheimers"), but thanks to language courses, regular meetings and reading competitions for children or special pages on our homepage, the dialect, which has its origins in down-high-German and strongly resembles Dutch, is kept alive.

Archived