CoinPeople.com

Slabbing, Is there an antidote?

What's the point of slabbing something which is only worth a few pence? I don't understand the slabbing craze as it is, but a commonplace Spade token is absurd.

What's the point of slabbing something which is only worth a few pence? I don't understand the slabbing craze as it is, but a commonplace Spade token is absurd.

Mind the applied sticker with $85 tells a story.................... it is already up to $10.49, how high will it go? I hope no higher but, if it does go much higher, expect to see a lot more slabbed cheapies with the expectation some fool will pay an exorbitant price for it.

Guys, I think slabs are here to stay. As China becomes more adept at producing legions of fakes, slabs will be more important. Even as slabs are faked, TPG services will stay ahead of the counterfeiting game just far enough to let slabs survive.

I can't think of an antidote.

Actually give it 100 years (or maybe 10 or 20) and there'll be some company out there slabbing genuine slabs, because people will be collecting those too. I wonder how rare an MS70 slabbed slab with an MS70 graded brass spade guinea is inside of it? :ninja:

Of course we laugh now but the sad thing is in the future it might just happen.

So if the coin is worth say $12 raw and the person spent $10 to have it slabbed, it's still a nice profit. I think that the coins that I buy sometimes for $4 or $5 or $6 - slabbed by NGC or PCGS are a bargain right now. When the coin market and economy turn around they'll go to that amount plus the $10-12 extra to cover the slab.

Thats what slabs and expanded grading scale is for in the end...an excuse to get more money. Price difference on the MS scale can be way more for just a one point difference....thats what they are wanting. To justify a price hike. Raw the coin = x$, Slabbed MS-63 the coin = X+grade$, Slabbed MS-64 the coin = X+higher grade$.

Like said before. They wont go away because there are people who are so dependant on them they wont buy anything buy slabbed coins...sometimes they will only buy coins slabbed by a certain company...and now you have the CAC that will bilk a little extra money per coin if you want them to grade the TPG grade. Its insane. I think the best thing to do in a situation like this is to refuse to pay jacked up prices...like said before...buy the coin and if the price is more than the coin should be because someone has slabbed it...just dont buy it...you will probably find other examples.

The TPGs are like virus protection companies and insurance companies. They prey on the fear people have regarding the possibility of buying fakes...nothing makes them more happy then to see fakes coming from China and people spreading this fear and this reason to send a coin to a TPG...even though people at the TPG may not be able to tell any more than an informed collector...few probably question them so it doesnt come back on them. Just like a maker of an antivirus program doesnt want all viruses eleminated...they want the viruses and their makers to continue...if they dont then they are out of business. So to does a TPG not want fakers to go away... Well educated collectors who DIY their hobby and learn all they can are a problem as well as they will not rely on TPGs as much.

BTW...love the price sticker on it...there only to make a person think they got a great deal pay 10X more than the coin is worth when they get it below that sticker price...nice tactic and it probably works well.

I'd hammer out slabbing.

I'd hammer out spamming.

All over this land.

:ninja:

As was pointed out in another thread this is the modern version of lacquering. But at least a hammer, chisel or screwdriver sets it free. Lacquer requires chemical experimentation.... ;)

The UK now has a slabbing service too, which might be bad enough, whats worse is they don't even use the Sheldon scale they use their own which goes right up to 100! I can't make head nor tail of it.

There's been talk of at least one of the big TPGs considering a move to a 100 point scale from the current 70. Nothing has come of it (yet), but just imagine all the money the TPG will make when the existing slabs have to be resubmitted so that the coins can be regraded and reslabbed on the 100 point scale. :ninja:

Archived