CoinPeople.com

Type Sets by Designer: Frank Gasparro

Art

Frank Gasparro served as Chief Engraver for the US Mint from 1965 to 1981. He is the designer/engraver for the Lincoln Memorial Cent reverse as well as the Susan B. Anthony and Eisenhower dollars and the reverse of the Kennedy Half dollar. He has many medals to his credit both in his official role as Chief Engraver and in his years after the Mint.

Frank Gasparro served as Chief Engraver for the US Mint from 1965 to 1981. He is the designer/engraver for the Lincoln Memorial Cent reverse as well as the Susan B. Anthony and Eisenhower dollars and the reverse of the Kennedy Half dollar. He has many medals to his credit both in his official role as Chief Engraver and in his years after the Mint.

One of his nicest designs, and one I think you to have an example of, is the 1969 ANA Medal obverse, the flowing hair design of which was used for a model for the proposed mini dollar in 1977. Unfortunately that lovely design lost out to Susan B. Agony.

ana1969.jpg

This medal was done for the ANA in 1966. Gasparro and Steever did the design and engraving. Medal was struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia.

1331561433_a2204f1f20_o.jpg1332444920_96f8877ac4_o.jpg

This is a big medal, 72mm. It weighs about a pound.

This is one of the packaging alternatives offered for the 1966 Medal. There is also a .900 fine silver version. It's very limited production and quite expensive. Last one that I saw went for over $1000.00 on ebay.

3609302614_696a890b3c_o.jpg

There's a very good discussion of the Ike dollar over on the CoinTalk forum. I'll hunt it down and post the link.

Here's one of the CoinTalk threads.

Eisenhower Dollar Thread - CoinTalk forum.

And here's another. Both are quite interesting and very well done.

Eisenhower Dollar Thread - CoinTalk forum.

• 2 years later...

Here's a nice Ike dollar from my collection. The dcam proofs are far more attractive than the circulated coins. (IMHO)

1001257.jpg

I've always had a like of that reverse. Maybe it's the symbolism.

A great design and implementation in my opinion.

Archived