CoinPeople.com

first circulating coins from Belarus

Mortyr2012

They never have? They aren't part of the EU?

Thanks for sharing, Marvin

No, the neither had circulating coins (afaik) nor are part of the European Union. Belarus isn't a candidate to become a member at all..

So far they only paid with banknotes. At the end of the year it seems like they are going to have coins and a monetary reform (1:1000), we'll see how it develops

Marvin

They never have? They aren't part of the EU?

Thanks for sharing, Marvin

Marvin is correct, they have never been a part of the EU, and no discussion of ever joining. For quite awhile until they started having disputes with Russia over paying for gas, it looked like Belarus was going to become a constituent republic of the Russian Federation. At least that is what the Belarusian president, Aleksandr Lukashenko thought, and that he somehow would get a leadership position in the new country. They have since found themselves on the outs with the Russians on border issues, and the all important paying for natural gas issue.

Belarus has been through a couple of currencies already, they have never been able to issue coins before because inflation was not kept in check, and why issue coins if inflation is going to render them worthless?

they kinda remind me of the soviet issues on the obverse,

Time has frozen in Belarus. There is another small breakaway country, Transnistria, that issues coins and still has the hammer and sickle device on them. I have been pretty close to the Transnistrian border in W. Ukraine late last year.

Somehow the denominations of these "coins" do not really match the concept of a 1:1000 reform. Also, according to this article http://www.charter97.org/ru/news/2009/6/16/19184/ the pieces seem to be samples only that the mint in Kremnica made, nothing official thus. I know, the website is pretty much the contrary of what could be considered an official government source ...

(And no, I do not speak Russian. But Google does, sort of. :ninja:http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0= )

Christian

Archived