CoinPeople.com

2009 US Proof Set

syzygy

I received my 2009 clad proof set from the mint the other day and thought some here would like to take a look at a few coins and maybe engage in some discussion.

This is an 18 coin proof set containing four cents, nickel, dime, six quarters, half and five dollar coins.

The state quarter program ends with a set of non-states? More likely, it begins the policy of changing the reverse on quarters every year forever - National Parks are next? The most impressive of these to me is Puerto Rico. I may go through my SQ book (yeah I have been sticking them in a blue Whitman folder too) and rank them - just for the heck of it.

sqasimg7229.jpg

sqdcimg7229.jpg

sqgimg7229.jpg

sqnmiimg7229.jpg

sqprimg7229.jpg

sqviimg7229.jpg

Next up are the President Dollars. Some interesting profiles I guess. The portrait of Harrison has an oddly macabre, yet cartoon-like style.

pjpimg7218.jpg

pjtimg7218.jpg

pwhimg7218.jpg

pztimg7218.jpg

More in the next post....

The new reverse of the Sac dollar is noteworthy. While the paper is around we don't seem to want the coins, so I don't know why five new ones in the year is going to change that. Nevertheless, I kind of like the font that is used.

sacimg7226.jpg

For me, the star of the show, without question is Abe! What other US coin can I get the first and last(?) dates that span 100 years! These are the first ones in 27 years that are copper. Moreover, I like all four reverses. Quite cool!

loimg7236.jpg

lr1img7236.jpg

lr2img7236.jpg

lr3img7236.jpg

lr4img7236.jpg

As far as the service from the mint (this is often a controversial topic) - no problems. I ordered online, got a couple of acknowledgements (we got it - we shipped it - blah blah blah). Received it in about 7-10 days as I recall.

As far as quality - well, I do see too many smudgies and drag marks. Maybe I am a perfectionist, but I did notice these - not enough to send it back for a replacement (hey maybe this is a *good* set), but less than I had hoped for.

That's the 'hot-lips" variety

Bhahaah I had the same thought. His beard looks pointier too.

Great set, thanks for sharing, Sy. When does the silver set come? and the "original" composition cents?

Bhahaah I had the same thought. His beard looks pointier too.

Great set, thanks for sharing, Sy. When does the silver set come? and the "original" composition cents?

I don't know when the silver proofs come out - the mint's site will say I am sure. The ones in the clad proof set above are the original composition cents - 95% copper, 3% zinc, 2% tin.

I probably will pass on the silver set, but I do like the silver JFK's - you going to get a silver set?.

I think it would have been kind of cool to have done a 2009-S VDB with the wheat reverse, as a dual serving commemorative, Lincoln, and the 100th anniversary of his cent. On second thought, that would have been too cool for the stupid mint to do.

The obverse of the cent is horrible. Abe looks like he's got "OctoMom lips".

I thought at first that maybe I had short-changed the mint as I took those photos pretty quickly. But ya know what Art? - You're right, those lips are not right - do the buisness strikes look the same?

hotlips.jpg

lipsimg7054.jpg

Okay, check your proof sets. a ddr-0001 has appeared. doubled finger on reverse. See here for more info. Dial up warning!!The file is 9.7 meg . Its the Die Varieties News magizine pdf file. Just as a warning to dial up folks

Okay, check your proof sets. a ddr-0001 has appeared. doubled finger on reverse. See here for more info. Dial up warning!!The file is 9.7 meg . Its the Die Varieties News magizine pdf file. Just as a warning to dial up folks

I'm not sure what to make of all these die varieties being spotted - Some of the extra fingers look interesting but everything I have seen is microscopic and the closer you have to look, the less exciting the variety - still it's nice to see that collector scrutiny and curiousity has not waned....didn't dl that doc yet but here were the best pics that I have seen so far - Lincoln Die Varieties

I'm not sure what to make of all these die varieties being spotted - Some of the extra fingers look interesting but everything I have seen is microscopic and the closer you have to look, the less exciting the variety - still it's nice to see that collector scrutiny and curiousity has not waned....didn't dl that doc yet but here were the best pics that I have seen so far - Lincoln Die Varieties

It does take some looking to see it.

Not sure how the others look like, but I can see the double thumb, just barely with just my 6x on. With a 10x loupe it stands out. But my eye sight is not that good.

I am surprised a double die turned up in a proof. It seems like there is some thing that makes these prone to doubling. Or is it just being lax? Looks like someone needs to find some Denver ddr's. They may be the rarity.

Archived