CoinPeople.com

Another Drug for those who like big Bronze Medals

han11.jpg

France, copper medal on Charles X, obverse by Raymond Gayrard (1777-1858), reverse by Alexis Joseph Depaulis (1792-1867), dated 1826 AD.,

Médaille en cuivre (51 mm / 68,86 g),

Obv.: CHARLES X ROI DE FRANCE - ET DE NAVARRE / GAYRARD. F. , .

Rev.: (en haut:) LE 12. AVRIL 1826. / LA 1RE. PIERRE DE LA BARRIERE DE / ROCHECHOUART A ÉTÉ POSÉE PAR M. LE COMTE / CHABROL DE VOLVIC CONSR. D´ETAT PREFET DU DEPARTT. / DE LA SEINE ASSISTÉ DE - M. LE BARON VVALCKENAER / SÉCRET. GL. DE LA - PRÉFECTURE // (droite:) EN PRÉSENCE DE M. M. / DELAVAU CONSEILLER D´ETAT PRÉFET / DE POLICE LAMBOT E FOUGERES SÉCRET. GL. / BARON BELLART PRÉSIDENTE DU CONSEIL GÉNERAL / DU DÉPARTEMENT DE LA SEINE // (gauche:) LES MEMBRES DE CE / CONSEIL M. M. PETIT MAIRE DU 2E. / ARRONT. DE PARIS VTE. HERICART DE THURY / DIRECTEUR DES TRAV. DE PARIS CTE. D´AUDIFFRET / DIRR. DE LOCTROI DE PARIS ST. PIERRE LESPERRET / BOMPART GAUTHIER REGISSEURS // (au-dessous) J. MOLINOS ARCHITECTE INSPECTEUR GÉNERAL / DES TRAVAUX PUBLICS DU DÉPARTEMENT / DE LA SEINE ET DE LA VILLE / DE PARIS // DEPAULIS. F. , front view of a building with four columns.

Sur la tranche: (corne d´abondance) CUIVRE

ref. :ninja: .

Three challenges here:

- no one in our family is able (with humble to advanced knowledge of the beautiful French language) to identify clearly the reason for it´s issue (maybe on April 12 1826 some of the listed persons had been introduced in some office ?)

- so far i found no reference, looks like a rare issue?.

- is the depicted building a real one?

;)

Forrer (Vol. 1 p. 557) mentions a medal for "The Barriers of Pantin and Rouchechouart". Are these some of the gates into Paris? I think the ancient walls were still in place at this point; perhaps they were replacing a couple of the ones destroyed in the Revolution? Just a guess...

Forrer (Vol. 1 p. 557) mentions a medal for "The Barriers of Pantin and Rouchechouart". Are these some of the gates into Paris? I think the ancient walls were still in place at this point; perhaps they were replacing a couple of the ones destroyed in the Revolution? Just a guess...

Yes, from what I've been able to find, you've got it elverno. The barrières were gates into the city where people entering paid taxes on merchandise they were bringing in to sell. In 1826-27 the existing barriers at Porte de Pantin (now a Metro stop) and Porte de Rochechouart were redone with Greek façades. I can't find any contemporary drawing online showing what the real-life barrier at Rochechouart looked like when it was built (and whether it was exactly like the building on the medal or not). Different Wiki sites note that the Rochechouart barrier was torn down in 1860...

A quick uninformed read of the lower inscription suggests to me that the medal is related to the department of public worcks, architectural inspectors. Of course, if I read the other three inscriptions, I might say something else. My guess is that the facade is of a government building. Le Pantheon is close.

For example, the stylized image of the entrance to the Sorbonne:

937598.jpg

Great medals. I have a few large medals and really like them. Easy on the eyes and the heft makes them feel "important".

a bit of translation ...

Rev.: (en haut:) LE 12. AVRIL 1826. / LA 1RE. PIERRE DE LA BARRIERE DE / ROCHECHOUART A ÉTÉ POSÉE PAR M. LE COMTE / CHABROL DE VOLVIC CONSR. D´ETAT PREFET DU DEPARTT. / DE LA SEINE ASSISTÉ DE - M. LE BARON VVALCKENAER / SÉCRET. GL. DE LA - PRÉFECTURE // (droite:) EN PRÉSENCE DE M. M. / DELAVAU CONSEILLER D´ETAT PRÉFET / DE POLICE LAMBOT E FOUGERES SÉCRET. GL. / BARON BELLART PRÉSIDENTE DU CONSEIL GÉNERAL / DU DÉPARTEMENT DE LA SEINE // .............

(The first stone [cornerstone] of the barrière de Rochechouart was laid by Monsieur le Comte Chabrol de Volvic, Conseiller d'Etat [cabinet member under the king], Préfet óf the Seine department, in the presence of ... blah blah blah, General Secretary of the Préfecture, in the presence of blah blah blah Chief of Police etc etc.)

Sur la tranche: (corne d´abondance) CUIVRE

This is one big thick medal to be struck in copper rather than in bronze! somewhat pricier for the era ... Does anyone know if the cornucopia edge mark on copper medals denotes the same time frame (post 1880) as on silver ones? in which case this is a later restrike.

Archived