CoinPeople.com

Just Another Clown?

tmoneyeagles

This guy has been trying to sell this for weeks, and it has been on my watch list each time, not to buy, just to see, if it would sell...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1912-Indian-2-1-2-Gold...93%3A1|294%3A50

NOW, FOR SOME REASON...If this didn't sell at $395, it will sell at $405? Is this guy nuts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1912-Indian-2-1-2-Gold...1713.m153.l1262

Does he think, raising the price, will make it seem like buyers are getting a steal?

This isn't the only ridiculous one I've seen....

I say a 1927 MS60, not sure on the date, but grade I'm sure of, for buy it now $750!

Only worth, what $350? That is crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my advise(take it for whatever you think its worth), NEVER buy(or for that matter, sell) anything(Numismatic) on ebay for any reason. No self respecting dealer or serious/knowledgeable collector would touch anything from ebay....I can proudly say that I have never even logged on to that shitty site....if you're going to shop on ebay, you might as well stay up late and buy coins off of shopNBC from Paul Hollis and his cronies. People who do buy coins off of ebay deserve whatever awful scenarios result from it.

Here is my advise(take it for whatever you think its worth), NEVER buy(or for that matter, sell) anything(Numismatic) on ebay for any reason. No self respecting dealer or serious/knowledgeable collector would touch anything from ebay....I can proudly say that I have never even logged on to that shitty site....if you're going to shop on ebay, you might as well stay up late and buy coins off of shopNBC from Paul Hollis and his cronies. People who do buy coins off of ebay deserve whatever awful scenarios result from it.

If you never "logged into that sh**ty site", as you say, then how do you know that "No self respecting dealer..." would use it? :ninja:

Personaly I have bought some nice items from ebay and met some realy nice and knowlagable dealers over the years, you get the good, the bad and the mediocre same as in all walks of life. We have a few members here on this forum who sell on ebay and who I would personaly rate as been extreemly knowlagable in there field.

Here is my advise(take it for whatever you think its worth), NEVER buy(or for that matter, sell) anything(Numismatic) on ebay for any reason. No self respecting dealer or serious/knowledgeable collector would touch anything from ebay....People who do buy coins off of ebay deserve whatever awful scenarios result from it.

Well I think that is a pretty ridiculous statement. I have purchased some of the rarest Anglo-Saxon pennies in existence from eBay due to them being misidentified or otherwise. eBay has enabled me to build up an extensive collection of hammered coinage which I could not have done elsewhere.

So, to say that no "serious/knowledgeable collector would touch anything from eBay" is a statement which, clearly, cannot be held true. I would like to think that I am both a serious and knowledgeable collector and I would certainly purchase many hammered coins from eBay, proving your 'opinion' completely wrong. I'm sure that many fellow members here would agree.

Before claiming such things I would advise that you do some research first and keep such absurd opinions to yourself.

That is my advice or, in your words, "advise". Take it for whatever it is worth.

If you honestly believe that, you have never bought anything off of ebay

My last purchase, 1911 PCGS AU58 $2.5, was near wholesale at $253.50, includes ship

Ebay is a place to get great deals, and good snipes...And you won't believe it but...YOU CAN BEAT HERITAGE ON THE DEALS!!!!

I've been to local dealers, and they don't use greysheet, or anything near wholesale, it is near, and over retail for them...

eBay is where it is at...

If you never "logged into that sh**ty site", as you say, then how do you know that "No self respecting dealer..." would use it? :ninja:

Very simple: You don't have to ever have logged into ebay to know what kind of $h!t comes out of it....I've had several clients tell me enough horror stories about it to know how bad it truly is. Btw, this isn't a debate...there is no room for an 'opinion' here, it is what it is. I've been a dealer/broker for over 16yrs now and back when ebay was in its infancy and coin collectors(and several dealers) started using ebay, I attended a seminar where the legendary Q. David Bowers(look him sometime) himself told a group of young dealers the exact quote I used; "No self respecting dealer...etc..." He warned us of the danger of ebay and sites like it, that it was a disaster waiting to happen and that anyone who used those kind of sites would have serious credibility issues. So, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bowers, ask him that stupid question and see what you get.

Hehe. Cat fight, cat fight! :ninja:

Personally I've put together a substantial portion of what has been called a world-class collection using eBay as a primary source of material. In several thousand transactions I've been burned exactly twice and I managed to help get one of them arrested for fraud. The other one got me though...

Of my many transactions I've bought probably 5 or so without asking the "right" questions. Three of those dealers took the items back and I continue to do business with them. The other two I ignore and let everyone who asks know my opinion. ;)

Hello folks. A debate is great and there's a place for it. HOWEVER it is appropriate to treat the other folks with respect and to express opinions or facts that can be verified. I'm locking this thread. Please feel free to move the subject to the discussion forum.

Archived