CoinPeople.com

An unexpected five pence, almost threw it away!

Delta

So I was getting on the bus the other day and was about to throw my counted money into the collector when suddenly I saw an unexpected head staring back at me!

secondheed.th.png

Turns out it was a Jersey five pence from 1992. Seems they never got round to updating it when everyone else did! ;)

sany0173e.th.jpg

sany0171z.th.jpg

Incidentally, is there a specific reason why only the most recent portrait resembles the Queen? I have no idea who the others are supposed to be. :ninja:

Incidentally, is there a specific reason why only the most recent portrait resembles the Queen? I have no idea who the others are supposed to be

Hmmm maybe because that's how she looks?

They did the same thing for Queen Victoria - in 1886 she still has her young Head but in 1887 you get a much older Jubilee Head version bust. Then a short few years later, about 1894?? .. they reel out the Veiled or Old Head, by then she is undoubtedly old.

Hope our Queens lives a long time, Gawd save the Queen!

I'd like to see Harry or William take over :ninja:

the young head came out in 1893 in some cases on victoia coins, and was still on farthings in 1895 (rather rare those though).

i'm guessing its just easier to stick to the same head, afterall jersey gets 100k 200k of each coin every few years?

Hmmm maybe because that's how she looks?

but... she dosnt! The latest portrait is the only one which has ever looked like her. The other two circulating don't look like her ever... nether does the one on stamps! ;)

Hope our Queens lives a long time, Gawd save the Queen!

I'd like to see Harry or William take over :ninja:

Must disagree with you there, not that I don't wish her a long life, but I'd prefer the title be abolished completely. At very least for it to die with her. There is no need for a monarchy, it's time Britain became a proper country with a full written constitution and an elected head of state.

I think you guys should accept Obama as your leader. ;)

Speaking as an Enlishman, we have had Roman Emperors, Vikings, Norman French, Welsh, Scottish, Dutch and Germans as our Rulers (sorry if I missed anyone out) but we must draw the line at one of you rebellious Yankees being our Monarch. We have not forgotten or forgiven your 'tea party' in Boston, as of yet. :ninja:

but... she doesn't! The latest portrait is the only one which has ever looked like her. The other two circulating don't look like her ever... nether does the one on stamps! ;)

Must disagree with you there, not that I don't wish her a long life, but I'd prefer the title be abolished completely. At very least for it to die with her. There is no need for a monarchy, it's time Britain became a proper country with a full written constitution and an elected head of state.

I would rather see a king or queen on my coins instead of the "hominids" who were voted in to run the country.. and have turned the country into some primordial gunk! .. they would take about 400years to wrigth a constitution as they cannot even agree to disagree :ninja:

With reference to the earlier comment about this head being the only one that resembles the queen, well the previous portraits used to bear a strong resemblence to the queen also but she moved on in age. If you look at pictures of the queen from the mid 80s-early 90s the Maklouf portrait (1985-1997) looks spot on.

Similarly some of her 1960s paintings eg;

queenelizabeth_s.jpg

Look like the Machin head coinage (1968-1984) and the current stamp portrait.

Archived