CoinPeople.com

Seized possessions

thedeadpoint

Hi all,

A few of the detectorists mentioned that finds can be possessed by governments or museums depending on their historical significance. In the US, some coins and notes are illegal to own: 1933 double eagles, $100,000 bills, some errors.

Have you ever had to cede your finds or possessions to a higher authority (spouses and family members excluded)?

In our area it could be more then just seize the possessions. But then thats probably true anywhere. If you are caught metal detecting in parts of padre island anything you found plus your metal detector could be taken. Plus fine, ticket, etc. Don't even think about using a detector in the park at San Jacinto Monument. One of the warnings I have seen more then any other is make sure you have the right to detect there. If its government land check the laws, if private property get approval from the land owner.

I've never had anything seized, but my uncle ordered some silver bars from the Bank of Montreal in the 1960s and those came through ok, but then he tried to buy some gold from them and it was seized by the postal inspectors since it was before Nixon repealed FDR's executive order and it was still illegal for US citizens to own gold.

Not only items of monitary status but property as well. If for instance your property is in the way of a government program such as a Federal Highway, you could be given what they claim is a feir price and out you go. If you find some historic materials on your property, that too could be confiscated for historic preservation statuses.

• 5 weeks later...
Not only items of monitary status but property as well. If for instance your property is in the way of a government program such as a Federal Highway, you could be given what they claim is a feir price and out you go. If you find some historic materials on your property, that too could be confiscated for historic preservation statuses.

True as too the "Antiquities Law". But whose gonna tell...........? Actually (I believe since I can't reference the law right now) it is against this Antiquities law to dig anything up, but if it's on the surface it's leagl to claim. However, as stated above, it can be stolen by the authorities. Me, I have never, neither found anything outside of my property lines nor anything of historical significance. :ninja:;);)

The rock hounds are getting up in arms about this.

Paleontological Preservation

Act" referred to previously as part of the Omnibus Land Act or S. 22

Section 6307(d)(1) now says - "To protect, restore, or repair the

paleontological resources and sites which were the subject of the action,

and to protect, monitor, and study the resources and sites." This change

prohibits land acquisition and eminent domain language.

Section 6308(:ninja: now says - "FORFEITURE.-All paleontological resources

with respect to which a violation under section 6306 or 6307 occurred and

which are in the possession of any person, shall be subject to civil

forfeiture, or upon conviction, to criminal forfeiture." This change

prohibits forfeiture of assets besides fossils.

And also Section 6304(a)(2) was amended by striking the word "may"

after the words "The Secretary" and replacing it with the word "shall".

This directs the secretary to exempt "casual collectors" from the permit

process.

From what I understand it would allow invertebrate fossils to be collected but not vertebrate fossils. There is also a question as to existing collections.

I had a situation last fall where I got a counterfeit $100 at the bank and handed it back to the cashier, the colour was off a bit, a bit darker than usual. Upon looking at it against the light, where Ben Franklin should have been the watermark, there was Abe Lincoln. If I had walked out of the bank with the note I would have been out the $100, but because I handed it back to the cashier right away it was the banks loss. Apparently a couple of tellers had handled the note, the one that gave it to me had bought it with a bundle from another teller just that morning. So at least two people handled the counterfeit and had not caught it.

Not to mention the property seizures that go on all the time in the US pertaining to people ACCUSED of criminal activities. All they need do is accuse you and get a judge to agree and they can come arrest you and take all your possessions before you are ever even brought to trial and found guilty. Its a great scam.

A friend of mind was arrested under charges of dealing drugs (it was true, but besides that) everything he owned was seized. His coin collection was taken away in two pick-up trucks, his collection was returned in a small cardboard box. Lesson is, don't deal drugs, and don't let the government seize your coin collection because greedy hands find uncatalogued items very appealing.

Secondly, anyone take notice to the local PA seizure of the lands called Lauxmont farms? It was apparently a native american settlement hundreds of years ago and the land owners where behind on their federal taxes. The government seized the land under eminent domain laws and after a lengthy court battle decided to make a park out of the property. THEN, after costing the land owners thousands of dollars in legal fees decided to call off the park project and return the land without having paid "legal land values" for the property because of taxes owed. Basically the government tried to re-hand the former land owners several million dollars of debt. I actually think this is still a court battle currently.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an 1964-D Peace dollar, I wonder if its legal to own :ninja:

It's legal to own, as long as you don't try to pass it off to someone else as genuine!

Archived