CoinPeople.com

A crowd of coins

thedeadpoint

Hi all,

I was at a basketball game at a local university yesterday. Maybe 5,000 person crowd for an afternoon game. Lots of families - students aren't back yet. I was fondling a 1817 large cent that's been my pocket piece for a few months. I started thinking:

What if we emptied everyone's pockets and purses? What would the most valuable coin be?

Probably not mine. Mine's a worn, warped, common large cent. There's probably a nice die variety out there that would go for $1000 or so.

I'd love to see how people think about this. I hope several of you venture to give a specific answer based on some logical thinking. To help you out, I live near Richmond, Virginia, USA - a medium size capital city. We fall squarely in the Philadelphia mint jurisdiction. We're only 90 miles away from DC and we have a Federal Reserve Bank (E) downtown. We're considered the southernmost city in the Metropolis but still part of the South.

I know a dealer at a gun store and when he was a kid he got a 1955 DDO. He just went and spent it. :ninja:

That isn't logical because our nearest fed bank is 120 miles away and is a Denver. Superior is just a shiping hub (small) and a ship yard, so logic is lacking. But a fun and true story.

You have a large sent and you rub it away in your pocket? My oldest cent is 1897.

I don't know how to answer your question. Very interesting, though, and now I'm gonna think it everywhere I go (including Obama's inauguration ceremony on the 20th).

When my father was a policeman in Jersey City back in the 1950's he would ask store owners if he could look through their change as he was also a coin collector. He was an honest cop and always replaced anything he cherry picked.

Believe it or not he once found a 1916-D Mercury dime in XF condition, so he walked his beat with that in his pocket one night.

At my mom's request (she worried about being a widow with three young kids) he quit the force and became a banker but his police training never left him. Not once but twice he caught a bank robber while on the job. Physically tackled the guy as he was running out of the bank. The first time he was given a $5000 bonus.

We ate steak for a month instead of pasta, rice and chicken! :ninja:

Not much chance of finding anything now. Way to many people do not carry money of any kind let alone coins. My son for example and his wife do not carry anything but plastic. Same with one of my neighbors. I've met many others the same way. No longer need to carry money. Many are now keeping some change in their cars for a just in case but even that will fade. On of the reasons the baby dollars are not being used.

Not much chance of finding anything now. Way to many people do not carry money of any kind let alone coins. My son for example and his wife do not carry anything but plastic. Same with one of my neighbors. I've met many others the same way. No longer need to carry money. Many are now keeping some change in their cars for a just in case but even that will fade. On of the reasons the baby dollars are not being used.

Ok. there aren't many circulating coins out there. But of those few coins, what would you find?

"Superior is just a shiping hub (small) and a ship yard, so logic is lacking."

While it might seem that life in Superior, WI is a little slow now, that was not always the case. Along with it's sister city Duluth, MI, Superior was a hub of activity on Lake Superior at one time. I'd bet that there is quite a lot of history there (and coinage too) from sailors of old who put to port there, both from the US and far away lands...I think that there was once a thriving red-light district there also. Check out that railroad depot type antique store next to the hockey rink - you might find some good stuff there.

I also heard a story from someone that I work with who lived in the area that there were some gold coins found in the area of or on Barker's Island, but I can't substantiate this, so you'll have to consider it a treasure tale unless you know more about it.

Archived