CoinPeople.com

Mercs - "S" vs. "Micro S"?

TreasureGirl

The Red Book lists 1945-s and 1945-micro-s Mercs separately, and there are two distinct holes for them in my album, but I can't find any definitive pictures online to help me figure out which I have. I can tell you that the "S" on my 1945 is the same as the "S" on my 1944, but according to "micro-S" pictures online it seems like that my 1945 is "micro". Huh?

With those photos it should be clear. Naturally if your comparing yours with other dates you may be in for a little surprize. If you'll look in the Red Book, for example, you'ld notice there are more and more large and small dates being found in the Mercury Dime series all the time. Even your 44 might be a micro S. I'm sort of a Mercury Dime nut and have well over 3,000 of them. Just finished set #12. There are numerous small and large mint marks in that series. And as to placement, remember those were inserted separately from the minting so naturally they are all over the place.

Now here is something for you to do. Since your probably using an album where you can see the front and rear, have you noticed when you line up the fronts all nice and verticle, then turn the page about 25% are tilted? I think the Mercury Dime series is the worst coin ever made with the rotated reverses. I usually find 20 to 25% of all mine with some degree of tilt. A few as much as 90 degrees. Even odder is some to the right and some to the left.

Archived