CoinPeople.com

Price of gold vs. platinum

bobh

Did anyone notice that platinum is actually cheaper than gold now? ;) Why?

I hadn't noticed and don't know why that might occur.

I do know that platinum has industrial use (e.g. in catalytic converters).

Maybe slackening manufacturing demand is a factor? :ninja:

Bad idea TomD, what happens if platinum is replaced by other metals? There is no guarantee that platinum will always be used for catalysts or other industrial purposes.

Good example is copper. Copper is an excellent electrical conductor but when prices went too absurd a few months ago, aluminum capacitor slowly got into the market as a cheap and reasonable substitute for copper.

I think Pt will shine again. Only when it was hitting $2k+ were automakers seriously considering alternatives to Pt for catalytic converters and that.

Though before investing in any Pt, I think it does a lot of good to read up on the history of Rhodium. That can give you an idea of what the worst case scenario is :ninja:

I think Pt will shine again. Only when it was hitting $2k+ were automakers seriously considering alternatives to Pt for catalytic converters and that.

Though before investing in any Pt, I think it does a lot of good to read up on the history of Rhodium. That can give you an idea of what the worst case scenario is :ninja:

Absolutely agree. Metals like Pt, Pd, Rh, etc. are too volatile price-wise to be good buy-and-hold investments. Great if you want to trade futures though.

Future trading and greed is what made the whole mineral market crash. Investors just want to muck around with the numbers whereas the real buyers that use them in their industries are the one that have to pay bigger price. Investors win, buyers that have to use them in their industry loses out. Cost gets passed down to customers lose out as well. That's what happened to oil prices and everyone lost except investors that can just mess around with the market - don't people get it? :ninja: Of course if you happened to be one of those investors, this discussion is just so irreverent. ;)

If I remember right, palladium happened to be a scarcer metal than platinum and no new deposits are found. Yet palladium prices are much cheaper than platinum simple due to demand.

looks like i can make a living stealing catalytic converters!!! yay!! lol im joking of course!please send your unwanted catalytic converters to me ill take em free of charge and ill pay postage!! its a good deal! :ninja:

Archived