CoinPeople.com

5kop1727 overstruck into Elizabeth's 2kop

sigistenz

Hi friends, you ever seen "7"s like this? Not to speak of the missing baroque (clouds) kopeck.

The edge, however, looked very OK. I am to blame for the pictures.

I took them viewing an old collection far away. Sorry now for not taking pictures of the edge.

Can't remember the die position. This can't be a modern fake. What do you think? Sigi

5kop1727bv3.jpg

By sigistenz

Hi friends, you ever seen "7"s like this? Not to speak of the missing baroque (clouds) kopeck.

The edge, however, looked very OK. I am to blame for the pictures.

I took them viewing an old collection far away. Sorry now for not taking pictures of the edge.

Can't remember the die position. This can't be a modern fake. What do you think? Sigi

5kop1727bv3.jpg

By sigistenz

Hi, I forgot to mention that the edge is reticulated (XXXXXXXXXX) looking very normal.

I am most certainly stumped by this appearance of the coin. First I have never seen an overstrike this bizarre - i.e. top half of the coin overstruck and on the reverse the bottom half. Wow, how does that work? There are coins that have missed during the first round of overstriking back in 1755-57, so that is the reason why the Baroque feature is not there. The second is indeed, the bizarre slanting of the year 1727. Wow.

I was thinking it might have been some early counterfeit 5 kopek circulated back then which the mint attempted to fix the counterfeit coin by overstriking it. More photos would be really nice. Sigi, what other information can you provide? A higher resolution may help to determine what mintmark it is - I can see the letter "D" for dvor but not the first one.

If you are certain that this is not a forgery (and I saw 2 krestoviks struck on 2 kop of Alexander I as an undercoin last week!!!) and that a 2 kop was struck on 5 kop, then the answer perhaps is that the 5 kop was a fake made for circulation. Those could have the most impossible letters and design, and the market was flooded with those at the time due to high profit made on the difference of the nominal and the cost of copper.

If you are certain that this is not a forgery (and I saw 2 krestoviks struck on 2 kop of Alexander I as an undercoin last week!!!) and that a 2 kop was struck on 5 kop, then the answer perhaps is that the 5 kop was a fake made for circulation. Those could have the most impossible letters and design, and the market was flooded with those at the time due to high profit made on the difference of the nominal and the cost of copper.

I agree with BKB's opinion on this one.

I agree with BKB's opinion on this one.

I also think that the host 5kop1727 was a contemporary forgery. The second outstanding feature is the absence of the baroque/clouds intermediate and thirdly the sloppiest ever overstrike, legalizing the fake. I am trying to get the coin sent to me :ninja: , will then provide professional pictures including die positions.

Thank you all for your contributions and patience, Sigi

The second outstanding feature is the absence of the baroque/clouds intermediate and thirdly the sloppiest ever overstrike, legalizing the fake.

That is not necessary..

Direct ovestrikes from @cross@ pyatak can be obtained even on 1788 2 kopeks - Have that one with SPM mint marks, and "hear" about MM's also..

Details of 2 kop - on Your coins are weak - but IMHO it was made at the mint.

It can be caused by unusual alloy (bronze or casted "smth else" - brass-like alloy) and, hence, get a crude strike.

Anyway - at my mind - that specimen are original overstrike "over" fake 5 kop.

That is not necessary..

Direct ovestrikes from @cross@ pyatak can be obtained even on 1788 2 kopeks - Have that one with SPM mint marks, and "hear" about MM's also..

Details of 2 kop - on Your coins are weak - but IMHO it was made at the mint.

It can be caused by unusual alloy (bronze or casted "smth else" - brass-like alloy) and, hence, get a crude strike.

Anyway - at my mind - that specimen are original overstrike "over" fake 5 kop.

Hi Basilio from Moscow! Glad to read an insider's judgement. If I understand correctly, the undercoin was a fake, overstruck to become a genuine 2 kopeck? What would be a correct price for it? I would like to buy it from my friend. Thank you very much, regards, Sigi

Hi Basilio from Moscow! Glad to read an insider's judgement. If I understand correctly, the undercoin was a fake, overstruck to become a genuine 2 kopeck?

Yup. That's right.

What would be a correct price for it? I would like to buy it from my friend. Thank you very much, regards, Sigi

Correct price?

You're kidding me?

Never heard about that one...

:ninja:

IMHO hundred USD - cheap, thousand - expensive (but IMHO can be reached on auction), 2 th - madness.

Yup. That's right.

Correct price?

You're kidding me?

Never heard about that one...

;)

IMHO hundred USD - cheap, thousand - expensive (but IMHO can be reached on auction), 2 th - madness.

Thank you, Basilo. I hope to get the coin one day :ninja: . Sigi

Archived