CoinPeople.com

5kop1763/3CM overdate

sigistenz

Hi everybody! As it is pretty quiet in the forum, I'm showing here my 5kop1763/3CM :ninja: Not quite an overdate, but a doublestruck "3". Click on the upper frame to enlarge and then again click into the picture to clearly see what I mean. Enjoy, Sigi

5kop1763cmfscreeningry6.jpg

By sigistenz

Sigi, is there a doubling on the crown as well?

Hisa, yes, the crown is slightly double struck as well. But I think the "3" does not correspond with the crown as no other features are double struck. See the normal "6".

Greetings Sigi! Very nice coin!

Would you say the mintmark is the large C or small c?

I ask because I havent seen a 1763 cM, and i dont know if the small c for 1763 is the same as the small c for 1764, (which is clearly tiny) or just not as large as the regular 1763 "C"

Josh, I once saw the 5kop1763CM small mintmark in person. It was strikingly tiny, both of the letters. Mine is the normal variant.

Hi everybody! As it is pretty quiet in the forum, I'm showing here my 5kop1763/3CM. Not quite an overdate, but a doublestruck "3". Click on the upper frame to enlarge and then again click into the picture to clearly see what I mean. Enjoy, Sigi

This is an interesting piece. One seldom sees a repunched figure so prominent.

RWJ

Interesting! So the background 3 is not a result of a double strike?

Alex, I think the 3 was double punched into the die. A possible reason would be that a first punch appeared too weak. :ninja:

Josh, I once saw the 5kop1763CM small mintmark in person. It was strikingly tiny, both of the letters. Mine is the normal variant.

Thanks Sigi. The reason for my question is that i have a 1763 cm, which was described as the small c variant, but clearly is not... Its just like the coin in this post. (Im not going to complain, because the price was right, but the seller who is without a doubt one the worlds experts in russian numismatics, should have known better, and might be a bit embarressed :ninja: ) Regards. Josh

Nice example. I'll check the 60 or so 1763CMs in my database to see if there are others.

Steve

Well, I only saw one in my database....it turns out it's the exact same coin. It went into my database on March 18 2005. I don't have a sales record so perhaps Sigi showed me 3 years ago (for some other reason), or perhaps I got the image from eBay.

Steve

Well, I only saw one in my database....it turns out it's the exact same coin. It went into my database on March 18 2005. I don't have a sales record so perhaps Sigi showed me 3 years ago (for some other reason), or perhaps I got the image from eBay.

Steve

Hi Steve, you are right - I bought the coin abt 3 or 4 years ago at eBay. Best, Sigi

• 2 weeks later...

Archived