CoinPeople.com

Going Plastic Crazy

Uncle Charlie

I use numerous methods to open those things. For example in the downtown area of Chicago there are many very tall buildings. Just drop those slabbs edgewise from the top of one and they will open completely. ;) Of course many prefer to open them at home so I recommend a Butane Torch. Usually only the plastic will melt leaving the coin intact. :ninja: Not necessarily if Zinc. Some very good marksman place the slab against a tree and shoot off the edges with a .22. Never use a .45 due to the size of the slug could damage the tree.

Now in reality, place a slab in a vise. Cut off the edges with a saber saw, coping saw, hack saw and the thing will just fall apart. If using something like a Dremmel or saber saw, remember that the amount of teeth on the blade is important. To few teeth for wood will make for splintering. To many for metal cutting will create heat and the plastic will fuse back as fast as you cut.

I use numerous methods to open those things. For example in the downtown area of Chicago there are many very tall buildings. Just drop those slabbs edgewise from the top of one and they will open completely. ;) Of course many prefer to open them at home so I recommend a Butane Torch. Usually only the plastic will melt leaving the coin intact. :ninja: Not necessarily if Zinc. Some very good marksman place the slab against a tree and shoot off the edges with a .22. Never use a .45 due to the size of the slug could damage the tree.

Now in reality, place a slab in a vise. Cut off the edges with a saber saw, coping saw, hack saw and the thing will just fall apart. If using something like a Dremmel or saber saw, remember that the amount of teeth on the blade is important. To few teeth for wood will make for splintering. To many for metal cutting will create heat and the plastic will fuse back as fast as you cut.

Actually I think just putting it in a vice and cranking it until an edge pops on works well. From there you just pry it open with a knife or screwdriver...obviously avoiding the coin very well.

I also use the Vfox "vice" method of opening slabs.

Except that I first put the slab in an old sock before I put it in the vice.

That way if the slab "explodes" I'm not on my hands and knees looking under the boiler for my valuable coin... :ninja:

I also use the Vfox "vice" method of opening slabs.

Except that I first put the slab in an old sock before I put it in the vice.

That way if the slab "explodes" I'm not on my hands and knees looking under the boiler for my valuable coin... :ninja:

I do find it amusing that they think of all these great ways to seal the tombs and we are just like....well "this is how I break them open" haha. We coin people are a creative and sadistic lot, arn't we? ;)

Archived