CoinPeople.com

1799 Large Cent

LostDutchman

The date and the wreath both have XF details, but the rest of the coin is VF to VF+. I would have graded it VF35, maybe XF40.

The date is the best part of the coin. It jumps out at you... :ninja:

Nice one Matt. I'll give you $20 right now for it.

I'd call it an Xf-40-45 taking in account the strike, but it appears to have been corroded or something. Or is that just toning? At anyrate it's a really nice example of a hard-to-find-in-that/any-condition coin.

Btw, what is CAC? I'm TPG-slow. :ninja:

Im not quite sure if its some light corrosion or just a crappy planchet... Basically the CAC is another service that will only sticker coins that they think are graded correctly. The green sticker means that the coin confirms to their "more strict" standards and they have a gold sticker that says that the coin is exceptional for the grade.

Im not quite sure if its some light corrosion or just a crappy planchet... Basically the CAC is another service that will only sticker coins that they think are graded correctly. The green sticker means that the coin confirms to their "more strict" standards and they have a gold sticker that says that the coin is exceptional for the grade.

Sounds like another way for TPG's to empty our wallets....

Do you think this deserves a better grade, or no?

I grade mine as a Vf-30ish details with micro-corrosion...so maybe I'm way off lol.

a1egh.jpg

I think you forgot some zeros.... and then doubling it... and then some... hahahaha ;)

Can't blame me for trying... :ninja:

I think LDM's coin is a EF-40 and vfox has an AU-58 (slider) I'd give $70.00 for either one.

It would be nice if mine was an au-58.....but it has some wear on the hair/cheek/forehead/ribbon/shoulder/wreath/rim. I may be undergrading this at an Vf-30, but I grade US coins hard.

I still think accounting for strike Matt has the nicer coin though.

I also think you may be waiting a while to buy either of these for $70. :ninja:

I kindive figured I would. I know what they are worth. One is 4 figure's the other is 5 figure's

Mine is till in the three figure mark by far....if I'm lucky half way to the four digit...but I doubt that.

Matts coin on the otherhand is likely a five figure. :ninja:

the 1799 just sold today for $49,500... a very undervalued coin in the price guides and the greysheets.

Wow, that's a good deal more than I expected. I didn't think it would be over 35,000. I wish I had the oppurtunity to work in a coin shop like yours Matt. It must be great to have all these rare gems passing around.

Thing about mine is that it is a common date and dark. It's smooth, but I think it has micro-corrosion which also hurts it, I also grade these hard and take in account the strike and rims. I paid less than $275 for mine and likely wouldn't get much over what I paid if I ever went to sell it. I'm not saying it's not a nice coin, I just think it's too common of a year and variety to bring much value over what I paid.

I was thinking about 30,000 to 35,000, for sure the price guides missed it on that one. I still think vfox's coin is worth a 1,000 at least. Red book has a large date large fraction VF-20 $1,000.00 and an EF-40 at $2,750.00.

I was thinking about 30,000 to 35,000, for sure the price guides missed it on that one. I still think vfox's coin is worth a 1,000 at least. Red book has a large date large fraction VF-20 $1,000.00 and an EF-40 at $2,750.00.

Redbook is interesting like that. As in, If I could get redbook prices for my collection I would sell everything I own. I go by bluebook and graysheet prices along with trends I see on eBay and Heritage. Redbook is a great reference, but I think they need to re-do the pricing structure in the book. In fact my 1999 redbook, aside from gold and silver bullion, is getting closest to what people are willing to pay, lol.

Redbook is interesting like that. As in, If I could get redbook prices for my collection I would sell everything I own. I go by bluebook and graysheet prices along with trends I see on eBay and Heritage. Redbook is a great reference, but I think they need to re-do the pricing structure in the book. In fact my 1999 redbook, aside from gold and silver bullion, is getting closest to what people are willing to pay, lol.

So redbook is like the "sticker" price on a car then? :ninja:

Archived