CoinPeople.com

Philippines 20 centimos 1883

Sir Sisu

I have what appears to be a coin from the Philippines. The best I have to use as a source to id this is Krause's 19th cent. 4th ed.

The closest thing it shows is a 10 centimos coin, but it has no listing for a 20 centimos. Is the Krause missing this info or is this coin from a different Spanish colony?

Here are pics:

coinF.jpgcoinB.jpg

I have an 1885/3 50 centavo from the Philippines, and my reverse is a bit different, it has the 2 pillars surrounding the coat of arms, and the denomination is at the bottom, 50 Cs de Peso. What is the diameter? It should be slightly smaller than a quarter dollar (my 50 centavo is about the size of a half dollar). Here are some photos (KM 148)

1885o350cobv.JPG

1885o350crev.JPG

There are three varieties of the 1883 20 Centimos listed in the 1983 Krause(I wonder why I keep the old editions, but they tended to be more accurate and thorough then)

1. 1883/2

2. Horizontal 8 in date, extremely rare

3. 1883 normal date. In fine condition these are priced at $15 in 1983.

I have an 1885/3 50 centavo from the Philippines, and my reverse is a bit different, it has the 2 pillars surrounding the coat of arms, and the denomination is at the bottom, 50 Cs de Peso. What is the diameter? It should be slightly smaller than a quarter dollar (my 50 centavo is about the size of a half dollar). Here are some photos (KM 148)

Hmmm...seems like my Krause is completely out of whack. It has no mention of a 50 centimos issue either. :ninja:

I lined up my calipers on the outside of the 2x2 and it looks to be 24mm in diameter. And just playing by sight, it seems slightly smaller than a quarter dollar.

There are three varieties of the 1883 20 Centimos listed in the 1983 Krause(I wonder why I keep the old editions, but they tended to be more accurate and thorough then)

1. 1883/2

2. Horizontal 8 in date, extremely rare

3. 1883 normal date. In fine condition these are priced at $15 in 1983.

Hey, I didn't think of that. I have an older Krause issue stuck in one of my piles of books somewhere (1996 if I recall correctly). Anyway, if my coin fits the bill, I'm guessing it's probably the normal kind.

Fortunately with some of the stuff I collect, Irish banknotes, Scottish banknotes, Scottish and English coins, I have other catalogues I can use.

Krause is becoming notorious for omissions in the past few years. The problem with Krause is that the submissions are often individual based and subject to error, and apparently no cross checking.

Archived