CoinPeople.com

Double denomination quarter

Hi, I'm new here, and decided to write. I found this today in a box and have been trying all day to get info on it. Seems quarter errors are pretty scarce.

This is an undated Washington quarter, (I can see some of the obverse).

The reverse has Monticello pressed into the eagle. The edge of the nickle is visible, and some metal stretching is evident. (Oval, like an egg).

The obverse won't scan. It is rather flat, and just comes out dark.

Got any ideas?..Like how it happened, how I can find out the date of the origional quarter, maybe how much it might be worth?

Nice forums...Thanks...

Bob.

25centnickle.jpg

Hi, I'm new here, and decided to write. I found this today in a box and have been trying all day to get info on it. Seems quarter errors are pretty scarce.

This is an undated Washington quarter, (I can see some of the obverse).

The reverse has Monticello pressed into the eagle. The edge of the nickle is visible, and some metal stretching is evident. (Oval, like an egg).

Got any ideas?..Like how it happened, how I can find out the date of the origional quarter, maybe how much it might be worth?

Nice forums...Thanks...

Bob.

Is what you have a mint error or something that was done to the coin after it left the mint? Double denomination errors are not unknown, but they are rare. You can see one here Fred Weinberg's site. On the other hand, there is no shortage of coins that have been 'messed with' for whatever reason. Many of the latter coins are found in a box somewhere :ninja:

There is not a great deal that I would say from a small picture of one side, except that you should be skeptical and that you should take it around to some coin dealers and get opinions.

authenticated a 30 cent mule could be valuble !!

but has already been pointed out there are many poor fakes and some good ones floating around !!!

is Monticello raised or incused( indented) ?

Pics of the obverse of the coin would be helpful, but it is my opinion that if the obverse is basically oblitered it is probly a fake coin and a poorly done one,, the vise or press that was used squashed it to unreadable.

Rick

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to agree on that too. Came across quite a fair bit of them.

IF you dare to say it's a double denomination, it's considered as an overstrike regardless if it's unintentional or intentionally struck. However, your top layer DOES not look like it has been struck by a die, as the details are ridiciously FLAT, which only could be explained by hammering the nickel into the quarter.

Sorry, I don't have any US overstriked examples as they are pretty scarce, if not rare. But this I can tell you. Having at least going through more than 20+ Russian overstriked coins and I own at least eight of them, your particular coin doesn't look like an overstrike at all. Hence it's just worth a quarter, or probably less as it has been defaced...

That coin is not possibile, the nickel looks like it is on top of the eagle...that could not have happened at the mint as the quarter planchet is larger then the nickel planchet and therefore would not have been able to fit into the press let alone the collar to be struck on center....%100 post mint

That's the key. The obverse was flattened when the coin was pressed in a vise or something similar. If the obverse was normal, there would have been a much better chance of this being a real error.

Archived