CoinPeople.com

Fake Siberia Polushka

squirrel

Antikvarius, take a look at his other large copper "NOVELS" (his words), I believe the 1767 10k is part of this set of reproductions, eg 1760 10k pattern, etc. This seems to be the set that is published in the Brekke supplement, in the chapter on fakes.

The toning is hard to judge because the photos have horrible color,as if taken with a cell phone cam in low light. Still no reply, however.

Antikvarius, take a look at his other large copper "NOVELS" (his words), I believe the 1767 10k is part of this set of reproductions, eg 1760 10k pattern, etc. This seems to be the set that is published in the Brekke supplement, in the chapter on fakes.

The toning is hard to judge because the photos have horrible color,as if taken with a cell phone cam in low light. Still no reply, however.

Most, if not all, of his Russian coppers appear to be fakes. He has been notified of this

and it will be interesting to see if he does the honorable thing. His conditions include “as

is” which usually means no return in case a seller discovers he or she has been duped.

RWJ

Mr. Coldwatermall (seller) has replied to me, and posted the response in the listing......

"Q: Hello. I have a specific interest in this coin. Could you provide (email is fine) a photo of the edge of this coin. There is a possibility this coin belongs with those listed as "novel" (i think you mean NOVODEL) is the toning of this coin similar to those? thanks again. FYI the coins listed "novel" are modern reproductions, but i beleive all the other siberia coins you list are authentic. Apr-10-08

A: Thank you I ment fake and novel the same sorry. for any confussin I will be listing a lot of olderrrr soon I use to bid against you. selling collection 1000 more it-least"

fair enough. Novel = Fake. like "Novelty item" i suppose, like an exploding cigar, or 2 headed penny........

Mr. Coldwatermall (seller) has replied to me, and posted the response in the listing......

"I use to bid against you. selling collection 1000 more it-least"

It looks like he is selling some of the coins that you may have been bidding on in the past. I wonder how much more they will sell for now.

It looks like he is selling some of the coins that you may have been bidding on in the past. I wonder how much more they will sell for now.

I think this guy has been buying up russian coins on spec for a while, and recognized my ebay name from back in the good old days when you could see who you were bidding against. Now, you never know, and you just get sniped at the last minute. I see a lot of sellers unloading their attempts at cornering the market on low grade, problem, and common coins.

At least its a good opportunity for new collectors on a budget who just want to have some fun, and learn a little bit, such as kids, or US collectors who are bored. I started collecting Russian coins out of curiosity of that "funny backwards lettered language" on some common, circulated Alexander III coins my grandfather left me when i was 10. This is probably the singular motivation for taking some Russian Language courses, later in life. (oh and college language requirements..)

I think this guy has been buying up russian coins on spec for a while, and recognized my ebay name from back in the good old days when you could see who you were bidding against. Now, you never know, and you just get sniped at the last minute. I see a lot of sellers unloading their attempts at cornering the market on low grade, problem, and common coins.

At least its a good opportunity for new collectors on a budget who just want to have some fun, and learn a little bit, such as kids, or US collectors who are bored. I started collecting Russian coins out of curiosity of that "funny backwards lettered language" on some common, circulated Alexander III coins my grandfather left me when i was 10. This is probably the singular motivation for taking some Russian Language courses, later in life. (oh and college language requirements..)

Hi all, the eBay 10kop1767KM is too flat, there should be more relief. I have seen quite some but never that weakly struck. I do not like the sevens in the date either. See mine bought from Basok recently, thus genuine. The image can be enlarged 2 times, click on upper black frame. I have both edge 1(//////) and edge 6 (\\\\\\), dies are identical for both of my 1767KMs. I'd keep away from that eBay coin. The polushka, of course is definitely fake. Sigi

10kop1767kmedge1vx2.jpg

By sigistenz

Fake 1767 Siberia 10K, aknowledged by seller as fake, and seller even adds this comment in his listing, SELLS ANYWAY FOR $214 !!!! :ninja:;);)

Winning bidder is a regular here... ;);) Ippocampos, are you out there??? PM sent, but if anyone out there has Ippocampos's contact info, let him know he just bought a fake.

I tried.

Fake 1767 Siberia 10K, aknowledged by seller as fake, and seller even adds this comment in his listing, SELLS ANYWAY FOR $214 !!!! :ninja:;);)

Winning bidder is a regular here... ;);) Ippocampos, are you out there??? PM sent, but if anyone out there has Ippocampos's contact info, let him know he just bought a fake.

I tried.

Thanks Squirrel PM recvd.

My Mistake thought at $214 worth the risk (dollar weak here...) .. my max was only a touch over that.. but seeing this thread.. 1 usd about as much as its worth so... thanks thanks thanks... in time and if gets ugly.. he did not write 'novel' on this one like the other obvious fakes... of course some of his are good so... needs trawling... K

PS maybe i ask him for a real 1767 one instead since he is selling 1000's of russian coins !

Also, most of the gold looks VERY fishy.....

Agreed. The following coin (1779 gold rouble), for example, does not seem to match any

known die pair for this issue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160229527207

Those with access to the Journal of the Russian Numismatic Society No. 81,

Winter 2005–2006 (pages 37–39), can compare the dies for themselves.

RWJ

Archived