CoinPeople.com

Please help me with my choice!

orest

grivna, I will be happy to help you in any way I can. You can copy/paste russian text and send it to my e-mail orest_1999@yahoo.com, I'll translate it ito the best of my ability. Hopefully, on your side, you will sometimes assist me in buying coins in question on ebay or say mycoindealer.com :ninja:

Many people like ebay as a place to buy coins. I do not (unless I am buying from someone I already know).

I am very conservative in my habits and would rather buy at a real auction or at a coin show or from a trusted dealer, not from a stranger on the internet. Obviously, there are many people who do not agree with me.

I especially do not trust sellers who use private auctions on ebay.

$1000 for that piece of ??!!!? I wouldn't pay $2 for such a cleaned and hairlined coin. Save your money and buy something graded by NGC or PCGS that is attractive and has real luster. At $1000, you could pick up some real nice copper coins. You need to learn what real luster looks like or, if you would consider circulated coins, be very careful to buy genuine coins, which means either slabs on ebay or buying from a very reputable dealer who, in the event he/she makes a mistake on the authenticity of the coin, will take it back if it proves to be counterfeit.

Working with a good, experienced dealer can be very rewarding. Talk with Jim Elmen, Mark Teller, Alex Basok, Dmitry Markov, etc. You can depend on them to provide you with quality, genuine coins.

Marv Finnley

Again, a word of caution here!!!

What's wrong with this one? Can you be more specific?

Orest, do not be in such a rush to spend your money! :ninja:

I can fully understand your impatience but you really should be very careful how and where you invest your money. The amount that you have allocated to the purchase of coins, although quite substantial by the standards of some of us, is not a great deal of money when it comes to purchasing Russian coins that are not commonly found, and not sufficient for really rare ones. It would be a real shame to waste your resources on fakes, cleaned coins, damaged coins, etc.

Therefore, if I were you, I would wait until I had a better idea of what is going on in today's market. I would get to know who the reliable sellers are, maybe by buying inexpensive items first. Also if you go back in this forum it will give you a lot of information. We cannot have a list of sellers we consider untrustworthy because of legal ramifications, but you can certainly get the jist of what is being said.

If you still want to purchase something right away, and if you want to use ebay, then the safest bet is to buy slabs. It is still not 100% guaranteed that what you will get a genuine item, and the grade may be a matter of opinion, even from the best companies such as NGC and PCGS, and you will certainly pay a premium for the slab, but at least it will give you a certain degree of confidence.

What I would suggest is: buy some of the less expensive, more common coins for the time being, ones that you really like so that you will get pleasure from looking at them and handling them, get some of the books people have been recommending, do some reading and bide your time until that very special coin you are looking for comes along. ;)

I don't get this. The guy with $1,500 wants to make investment?? Sorry but this is a joke. If that's all you have got you better spend your money on something else, for example take a weekend trip somewhere, buy yourself a suit. Even if you buy one coin... what's next :ninja: This hobby is not for people with $1,500 ;)

What are you trying to achieve? What are your thoughts on returns from your investment. Just because you might heard that russian coins are hot you dont jump on this hobby.

I think it is rediculous to spend last money on things you have no idea about.

okay a) i know up to nothing about russian coins and b ) i dont fancy em either since the market is topped with fakes

but i got this to say to you orset...first you said your investing...then you said you only want russian coins because it reminds you of your country... if your investing your gonna sell the coin later anyway.... so whats the use of it being russian only?..is it because the prices rise all the time? thats why you picked russian?.....

my tip is take the $1,500 and buy a bag of coins or something and sort em out...figure out when a coin is cleaned..artificialy toned ...not worth the sellers price etc..buy some books about russian coins if you want also... reading 1 or 2 books doesnt make you an expert ...these people here on the russian forum have collected russian coins for years thats how they got their expertise in this field.

and if you want to invest..your in the wrong field with your expertise...the russian coin market is filled with fakes, cleaned or over priced coins...so just invest in good ol billon..(i.e. gold, silver etc) since prices in those fields are much more likely to steadly increase in the long run

not trying to discourage you just pointing out the facts.

ps:- this tip helped alot :ninja: got it from gx in my first few months on the forum "if you dont know what your talking about than dont answer back to people asking the question since you will be misleading them"... you answerd back wrongly in a few threads ...so take this tip..and read more books about coin collecting and russian coins ;) then when you know your facts 100% start answering peoples questions ;)

$1000 for that piece of ??!!!? I wouldn't pay $2 for such a cleaned and hairlined coin. Save your money and buy something graded by NGC or PCGS that is attractive and has real luster. At $1000, you could pick up some real nice copper coins. You need to learn what real luster looks like or, if you would consider circulated coins, be very careful to buy genuine coins, which means either slabs on ebay or buying from a very reputable dealer who, in the event he/she makes a mistake on the authenticity of the coin, will take it back if it proves to be counterfeit.

Working with a good, experienced dealer can be very rewarding. Talk with Jim Elmen, Mark Teller, Alex Basok, Dmitry Markov, etc. You can depend on them to provide you with quality, genuine coins.

Marv Finnley

Why buy graded coins when raw coins are cheaper? Do no think you can find a raw coronation in good grade? I did last year. Both coins are fully prooflike. Did not come from a dealer either. I believe that these are still so common (especially 1883) that you can find them pretty easily. 1883 Even as proof.

1896vw8.jpg

1883uk1.jpg

Why buy graded coins when raw coins are cheaper? Do no think you can find a raw coronation in good grade? I did last year. Both coins are fully prooflike. Did not come from a dealer either. I believe that these are still so common (especially 1883) that you can find them pretty easily. 1883 Even as proof.

1896vw8.jpg

1883uk1.jpg

I agree.

On the other hand, BKB, you can tell the difference between a lustrous unc and a VF that has been shined up with a brillo pad. For those who cannot, paying more for a slab might not be such a bad idea. :ninja:

I don't get this. The guy with $1,500 wants to make investment?? Sorry but this is a joke. If that's all you have got you better spend your money on something else, for example take a weekend trip somewhere, buy yourself a suit. Even if you buy one coin... what's next This hobby is not for people with $1,500

What are you trying to achieve? What are your thoughts on returns from your investment. Just because you might heard that russian coins are hot you dont jump on this hobby.

I think it is rediculous to spend last money on things you have no idea about.

I find your comment to be at least very uncleaver, at least. First of all I never said that i only have 1500$ to spend, and this is not my last money. Please leave your suggestions with your self what i can spend my money on.I was asking for an advice on what i can get for 1500$ to start with. Say i buy a nice coin in AU58 condition , for example 1850 ruble. This coin will be part of my collection, and yes, investment too. I assume that you have no idea what you're talking about, since you don't know that 1500$ can make you a lot of money in a long run. According to your post, i can only assume that you're at the very least know less than me about russian coins.

okay a) i know up to nothing about russian coins and b ) i dont fancy em either since the market is topped with fakes

but i got this to say to you orset...first you said your investing...then you said you only want russian coins because it reminds you of your country... if your investing your gonna sell the coin later anyway.... so whats the use of it being russian only?..is it because the prices rise all the time? thats why you picked russian?.....

my tip is take the $1,500 and buy a bag of coins or something and sort em out...figure out when a coin is cleaned..artificialy toned ...not worth the sellers price etc..buy some books about russian coins if you want also... reading 1 or 2 books doesnt make you an expert ...these people here on the russian forum have collected russian coins for years thats how they got their expertise in this field.

and if you want to invest..your in the wrong field with your expertise...the russian coin market is filled with fakes, cleaned or over priced coins...so just invest in good ol billon..(i.e. gold, silver etc) since prices in those fields are much more likely to steadly increase in the long run

not trying to discourage you just pointing out the facts.

ps:- this tip helped alot got it from gx in my first few months on the forum "if you dont know what your talking about than dont answer back to people asking the question since you will be misleading them"... you answerd back wrongly in a few threads ...so take this tip..and read more books about coin collecting and russian coins then when you know your facts 100% start answering peoples questions

I will be buying certified coins from mycoindealer.com :-)

read more books about coin collecting and russian coins then when you know your facts 100% start answering peoples questions

I will be buying certified coins from mycoindealer.com :-)

Buying and reading books first better idea :ninja:

Archived